• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core?

azwnbfpro

NAXJA Forum User
So I get to work yesterday and notice I have some fluid (appears to engine coolant) in the driver and passenger front floor boards. Not a ton, just a little. Smells like antifreeze in the cab. Also, there's a vent tube coming off the fire wall on the passenger side leaking coolant.

Busted heater core I assume...?

Anyone have a write up on changing the heater core out? How hard is it to do?

Oh, it's on a 1998 Jeep XJ, 4.0 liter, Auto trans, 4 door sport 4x4.

Thanks in advance for any info.

holy hell is it ever hard to do. well, more annoying. about 6 hours of labor.
the way I found out that my heater core was plugged was by turning on my heater and getting no hot air and having almost no coolant flow or pressure going through the hoses.
I have a write up but I cant give it to you. I got it from this guy http://www.cherokeeforum.com/members/ol-blue-4766/
I pm'd him my info and he sent me the write up

I'm still not done

124.jpg

123.jpg

Holy Crap!:wow:

I didn't think the whole dash would have to come out! That's engineering genius! That sucks!
My XJ also doesn't blow very hot air from the heater, so I'm sure that's the problem.

Well, I picked up a heater core today and I'm going to start this mess tomorrow. Wish me luck, I'm a little nervous about dismantling the whole dash.:puke:

I hope I don't wind up with a bunch of squeaks after it's back together.

I'm so glad I have an early XJ :D!

Be very glad, if they are easier than the later version! Holy sh!t! What a pain! It's like they built the Jeep around the heater box! Haven't had the time I wanted to spend today, so back at it tomorrow. My dash is tore to pieces! Yikes!

Its not that bad.

Okay, okay, it wasn't that bad, just time consuming.

It's all back together and actually went back in fairly easy. (Hopefully I didn't just jinx myself by saying that.) Anyway, did the test drive and all good with the exception of the motor did get a little hot for a brief period. I think it may have just been a little air in the coolant system. Fingers crossed, I think I'm good.

Back