• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad caster or bad toe?

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
so i got new tires (35's) and my death wobble is gone, but the handling is somewhat weird. it seems to not return to center very well. it drives ok, but if you turn the wheel, it seems to want to turn more rather than return to going straight, in either direction. it doesnt seem to really wander or anything, it just keeps going in the direction you point the wheel, or possibly turn more, especially if you're turned a bit already. is just the nature of bigger tires?
i'm at 4.5-5" of lift, and the alignment was about 6 degrees for caster, and about 1/8" for toe, but that was on the old 33's.

is this more of a caster issue, or toe?

That's about what I'am running for caster & toe-in with 6.5 lift. I put my 35's (had 33's) on about 5 wks. ago mine appears drive better. Dosn't wander as much as before with the sway bar disconnected. I would check your toe-in again.

Caster is usually what affects returnability of wheel to center most.

so it does wander on the highway a little, but not bad. it just seems like wherever i steer, it wants to keep steering, or steer more.

I believe the caster should be 6-7 degrees no? If you were happy with your caster before I don't see how changing tires would affect it.

Did you change wheels also? Perhaps a different backspacing?

IDK, I'm just throwing stuff out there.

i had no way of knowing if i liked the caster before, the tires were bad and it shaked like hell. same wheels though.

Less caster, the more of what you are describing will happen. If the caster is really at 6 degrees, it should be good to go. Say, 0-1 degrees of caster will cause it to want to keep turning in whatever direction you are turning. If you think about more caster (with the vertical pivot 'line' that goes from the top and bottom ball joint, tilting backwards) the weight of the vehicle will naturally want to make the wheels return to center. I would check the caster again...

I use this on the top of the 'C' behind the top ball joint with the vehicle on level ground, and run at 5.5*

Last edited:
fit the toe was 1/8 in with 33's.. It will be more now with 35's. Start with re setting that and test drive.

i just sleeved my stock tie rod to hold me over for the weekend, so i will realign it after i install it.

Caster is set with adjustable upper and or lower contol arms.. Camber is non adjustable in a SFA application

so LOL my toe is like 1.5" off (toed in).....
my steering wheel is pretty far off after the last wheeling trip, i guess i tweaked something. tie rod doesnt seem too bad, not sure whats up. i'll swap the tie rod with the sleeved one and realign it for now.

The bigger tires will add more toe but mot that much. LOL If you have a spare drag link check to see if that has more bend than usual. Last yr at CC i bent my D Link and not the tie rod backing down an obstacle ...

the drag link could be bent, but i would think that would change steering wheel position more than toe, right?

Back