• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shift kits

I never driven a jeep with a shift kit. But I had one installed on my old t-bird. Best way to discribe it, it firms up the shifts. Lets the transmitions react faster. On a jeep, I wouldnt if its like my t-bird. Unless your going for stright street performance, I would think the its going to make it more hinderance off roading then anything else.

shouldnt hinder anything. A shift improver kit only slips the clutches in the trans less, creating lower temps and less wear. Word from the wise, if thgive you options on the spring set go with the softest, add the medium in later if you need it slightly firmer.

as far as i know nobody makes a shift kit for the aw4. there is a "shift improver valve" that makes it shift harder, but I talked to a buddy who works at transwest performance and he said other than that there isn't a kit available.

yes, that would seem like the most viable option for the aw4 and his work shows promise. I wouldn't want a hard shifting xj as a daily driver though unless you like to race around town in your station wagon. :D

I wouldn't want a hard shifting xj as a daily driver though unless you like to race around town in your station wagon. :D

That was the issue on my t-bird. Mine was adjustable presure or something like that (forget was like 10 years ago and my mechanic made the adjustments) and when you adjusted the shift kit to its highest level it shifted so hard it use to make the rear pop and almost want to jump into the next lane of traffic when it was slick out. When it was usable was set for a mild level it was fine but lost all its hard firm shifts.

Either way, those springs are not tired like mine. 196k miles with this being the first rebuild (unless the previous guy used OEM parts) anyways i will post my experience as soon i as can

Anyone want to get brave?

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/T97169.html

TransGo # 340-HD2 Reprogramming Kit
Fits: 4 Speed Toyota 340, 341, 343 & Jeep AW4
Street, Strip & Off Road-Increases Clutch Plate durability. Provides short-firm shifts, Perfect for Hot Rods & Trucks. Trans will stay in low gear with Lever in manual low position. Installs with trans in vehicle. Wide coverage, Fits 4 different Valve Bodies

The biggest advantage, IMO, is the stay in first gear mod. Internet pricing appears to be at the $100 point.

Back