• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

C8.25 Gear best Gear.

HalfHitch

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to swap out my gear on my 99 XJ. Who makes the best gear? I have looked at several brands. East Coast Gear Supply, Summit racing and Supierior Axel and Gear. I just want the best gear for the money.

Thanks, I appriciate all your input in advance.

I hear Yukon makes decent stuff now. What gears are you planning on going to? Superior makes good stuff, but is on the higher side if you don't mind that.

i like my 4.88's. Go through RWKhausssupply. He is a member on here and he is a great guy to do business with

Depends on the ratio... 4.56 & higher US Gears Torque Line...(last I checked they didn't do anything lower)... US Gears Torque Line :thumbup::thumbup:
– Manufactured from forged USA Steel
– Pinion face marked for "checking" distance
– Each set comes with match set number and installation instructions
– Made in U.S.A.

For 4.88s maybe check for manuf. I don't think there are too many... then pick your vendor...

Curt

wait! an 8.25 can go to 4.88? I thought the lowest they could go was a 4.56!

Thanks guys for the input,

My XJ is a 5 speed - stock gears are supposed to be 307. For some reason the previous owner swapped out the stock gears with 3.55's D30 front, D35 Rear, with lots of play or slack in them (supposed to be a C8.25). Luckily I have the original C8.25 rear axel with the original 307 Ring gear and pinion. I am just going to swap out the 307 with the 3.55. I am working on building it into an expedition vehicle to use it for costal fishing trips with my son. So I am trying to keep MPG in mind as I build it.

I knew you guys would point me in the right direction I don’t mind spending a little extra on quality. I’m just looking for the best performing gear for the best price.

Thanks again Guys!
HalfHitch

See if there is a 3.73... depending on tire size... I'd be looking at 4.11s or deeper.
Also look at Dana gears...

Curt

For my money I'd find a set of stock axles with the gears you want.
Changing and setting up new gears in yours would probably cost more than a straight axle swap.
3.07 was for better gas mileage in manual trans 4.0 Cherokees.
3.55 was auto trans and 3.73 was mostly part of the towing package.
4.11's came in manual trans 2.4L 4 cyl. cars like my '96, hence, I probably get the same mileage as a 4.0, but have more fun with he 4.11's.
A "strong enough" axle is the 29 spline 8.25 from late '96 and on, non-anti lock brake cars.

Hope this helps,
Mike

What would the lower 4.88's and 4.10's do with the gas milage / long trips at higher RPM's looks like it is a bad idea. the 3.55 seems to be pretty low as it is.

I really do appriciate your coments!

it depends entirely on what size tire you want to run^^
AX15, 4.10's and some skinny 33's would in theory put you back to around stock RPM at 65mph.
4.88's would give you a lot more grievance on the highway. but good fuel economy and a built xj just dont mesh.

yeah gear ratio calculator puts 4.10's stick shift and 33's at about 2150rpm @ 65mph. it's not accurate by all means but it will give you a number to think on
4.88's will be turning about 2500rpm's. you'll want to be running 35's for that
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html

Last edited:
it depends entirely on what size tire you want to run^^
AX15, 4.10's and some skinny 33's would in theory put you back to around stock RPM at 65mph.
4.88's would give you a lot more grievance on the highway. but good fuel economy and a built xj just dont mesh.

yeah gear ratio calculator puts 4.10's stick shift and 33's at about 2150rpm @ 65mph. it's not accurate by all means but it will give you a number to think on
4.88's will be turning about 2500rpm's. you'll want to be running 35's for that
http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html
hank

Thanks for the link, that helped me make up my mind on tire size. What is the best gear manufacturer?

Back