• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Chinese U Joints!

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
Broke one today in the d30 on 31's. It was locked on wet flat ground trying to pull another jeep out of the creek. Also had less than 1000 miles on it and could tell it didn't spit the cap cause it was laying on the ground with the pecker in it.

Point? 4 decades ago, it was Japanese parts that were just so much cheap garbage. Now, it is the Chinese pushing their particular brand of junk on us.

Insist on US made Spicer Parts.

I was just awfully suprised by how easily it broke. I didnt think their metalurgy was that bad.
Spicer arn't made in the US anymore from what I've heard from multiple people. Anyway I buy precision ones cause their US and arn't $40+ like Spicers. I had the Prontos so I went ahead and used when I did the front axle up.

some Spicers use cross components built in China, bearings & caps still made in USA. That's on their driveshaft 1310's, at least.

as far as I know the 5-760x are still made entirely in USA according to their labels. They are a better u-joint. around me, those go for ~$26.

Neapco's are still completely made in PA.

Chinese bearings should stay in China so they can enjoy their own quality and go nowhere fast.

Yea I bought a raybestos unit bearing assuming it was usa and besides that fact, they left out the second seal that the axle shaft contacts to protect the bearing seal. Glad I bought timken/national beaings and seals for my axles before I knew better cause this **** sucks and I wasn't one to judge products just cause of where they were made till recently.

(Play nice...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Foward. These were the bigger style u joints also

You guys replace axle U-joints?
Stockers are plentiful enough to just run them until the oem joints fail.

Makes sense. I have ones laying around but they all seem to be from high mileage jeeps and are sloppy

You guys replace axle U-joints?
Stockers are plentiful enough to just run them until the oem joints fail.
The 760 joints are stronger than the 297s, which are stronger than the little 260s. That being said, I've never actually killed a 297 or a 760, just ripped the yoke ears off. I broke a 260 (was my spare that I ended up having to use and didn't want to take back out) last trip though - it looks like I could put a new ujoint in the shaft but it simply isn't worth the time.

$28ea, the other week .... from my local lawnmower shop ... :)

RRShaftUnis01b.jpg

Back