• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd slipage

beastlydumass

NAXJA Forum User
ok so past few times been out wheeling with other jeepers we been contomplating on my problem. when ever in 4hi on low wen under a load the front slips. front end is good and so is the shaft. tcase has a brand new chain but the old one had a lot of lack and was slaping the case and sliping on the teeth. after putting in the new chain the first few uses had no problem but after these past few times its gotten alot worse. it has the sound and feel of the chain jumping teeth but aint got the time or money to tare into it for a bit. we had and idea of if it the linkage wasnt adjusted rite or moved if it could be causing it. any input would or could help.

Slipping is likely not a linkage issue...you are either in 4wheel or not. Sounds like something internal to the Tcase.

Chain stretched or you have a few broken teeth on the ring gear up front. The sprockets inside the case might be worn enough to let it slip as well.

front dif and is together wouldnt be able to drive if it was broke. chain is brand new and was a bitch to put everything back together cause how tight it was. hoping its just the front yoke sproket. any input on on a hd full tc rebuild with sye?

. it has the sound and feel of the chain jumping teeth but aint got the time or money to tare into it for a bit. we had and idea of if it the linkage wasnt adjusted rite or moved if it could be causing it. any input would or could help.

My '95 does that. I have to hold the lever tight in 4lo to keep it from popping out. Haven't crawled under to adjust yet. I'm betting on linkage.

Linkage adj. Procedure:
1. Loosen adjust bolt on shift linkage
2. Manually place the case in 4 low
3. Remove Tcase shifter bezel
4. Move tcase shifter to 4low, wedge a 1/8 drill bit between lever and shift gate. Bungee lever in place
5 crawl back under, verify that case is still in 4low, tigtten adj. Bolt
6. ???
7. Profit!

Dunno which case you guys have but if it's the 231 the shifter fork has plastic clips that are on the fork to prevent the slide collar from wearing, These clips get hot cold hot cold you get the idea. Well after years they become very brittle and break thus causing more slop in the linkage. I had a slide collar wear into a tapered state that it would go in and pop out every time even if I held the shifter back as hard as I could.

Dunno which case you guys have but if it's the 231 the shifter fork has plastic clips that are on the fork to prevent the slide collar from wearing.
brand new mode fork, clips and chain. np321. get around to adjusting this wkend if the rain holds off. also made a new and thicker plate that is the last piece of linkage on the tcase

Hey! :wave: Another Jacksonville member. Last weekend a member from Middleburg was on the forum. I may have to get my XJ up from Miami to go wheel. Where do you guys wheel here? I live off Blanding inside the I-295 for going on a year.

Back to topic:
Did you change the sprockets when you change the chain? If you did then that leaves only the bearings inside the T-case and/or linkage adjustment. Note;... If the bearings are worn they would allow the shafts with the sprockets and chain to come together under load and the chain to go slack.

no didnt change to sprocket but need to and guna need a new input bearing soon last time i checked it. go wheeling at jennings, beach blvd and other random places

Hey! :wave: Another Jacksonville member. Last weekend a member from Middleburg was on the forum. I may have to get my XJ up from Miami to go wheel. Where do you guys wheel here? I live off Blanding inside the I-295 for going on a year.

Funny...

Neither one of you are Members ;)

Perhaps you would like to Join? :D

As for the T-Case... Since there is a new chain and new fork pads...Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment, and just catching. Try adjusting before you pull the case.

Funny...

Neither one of you are Members ;)

Perhaps you would like to Join? :D

As for the T-Case... Since there is a new chain and new fork pads...Sounds like the linkage is out of adjustment, and just catching. Try adjusting before you pull the case.

I have been a member since 2003. Earlier this week I notice my name is in black. Where is my renewal notice? I usually get one. Is this the new policy? Not to send out renewal notices? :dunno:. I think I will just :shhh: .

I don't think I have ever received a renewal notice.
IIRC we recently got a new Membership officer. Perhaps that person can address that ;)

Back