• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Window Fix? (Not window regulator)

Mastodon

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone knows the fix for an inoperative driver side master window switch. This is on a 2000 XJ.

The switch works every now and then, and sometimes when I flip it the automatic roll up/down feature activates. It often will continue to roll up or down causing the teeth to grind until I flick the switch in the opposite direction.

I believe this to be an electrical issue pertaining only to the driver side door window switch, specifically related to the automatic roll feature (the panel controls the other windows with no problem 100% of the time)

I tried the door panel splice fix to no avail, I do not think the problem is the commonly reported window regulator, as my window has never dropped.

The window is currently stuck 2/3 of the way up, I need to get my car inspected tomorrow (in my state your driver window must roll down, but does not have to roll up) any help is much appreciated.

The problem I am describing is the same as post #4 on this forum: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/p...-2000-jeep-cherokee-window-switch-broken.html

If the window makes noises, the regulator needs repair or replacement. If the drivers door master switch doesn't work you have a master switch or drivers door wiring issue. The lock-out problem only applies to the other window on the other doors.

Gotta go with Tim_MN on this one. There should be NO teeth grinding noises at all. I have NEVER seen ANY XJ with an auto up feature either, only down. If I were you I'd replace the driver's master switch and regulator. Both easy repairs.

I also had the same problem and it turned out to be a broken solder joint on TWO different switch assemblies. Use a magnifying glass and inspect all the solder or just re-solder everything.

Back