• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire face off! Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 VS Cooper STT

Restruction

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I'm not entirely sure as to where to post this but I think it belongs in the Modified XJ MJ section, So mods please move this as where it appropriately belongs please. Again I'm sorry 'cause I do not know where this belongs and there is no Tire & Wheel section.

I currently in the market for a new set of tires for my newish 1989 Cherokee Pioneer 5 speed. This truck is strictly a beater off road rig and will be only driven to pull someone out or to just wheel. This truck is going to get a BDS lift kit of 3.5 inchs with already trimmed fenders. I have picked out 2 but I will leave a third slot open for "another choice".

The 2 tires that I have picked are the Cooper STT's which I have read wonderful reviews on and I personally have a friend who swears by them in all conditions, and the Hankook DynaPro MT RT03 which I cant seem to find that many reviews about it.

Here are the problems that I encounter:

1. Whats better for ice and snow as I encounter alot of it during the Connecticut winters.

2. Better in mud.

3. What tire wont kill me when its raining hard and the roads are wet?

4. If I pick up the Hankooks where and how would I get them sipped?

5. Does anyone currently run the Hankooks because I have only seen Discounttiredirect.com carry them online.

Pros and Cons to each tire please.

Well, I live in Connecticut there are no legal places to wheel save for my friends extensive back yard, So I would say about 15-25 miles from my house. However I plan to take it to Rausch Creek PA and I am moving from CT to VA.

I would get swamper's my friend is selling 5 33x12.50R15 LTB's but I just dont like the look and they are really loud, I.E I can hear my friend coming down the road and thats loud enough for me, Imagine riding to VA or PA with that howling sound.

I'm ready for the criticism that will come with this following comment, I own 2 Jeeps a 2000 WJ thats a DD and an 1989 XJ 5 speed that is the beater/ recover..er..

I have 33x12.5 stt and I like them, I probably should have gone with 10.5 because I use my jeep a lot in the wisconsin winters. They are not too bad in the snow.

I have no experience witht the hanhooks

No legal places to go off road. This should be a lesson to all here on NAXJA that we need to fight, politically, for our ORV rights.

Elsewise, all the States will go the same way as CT...

As a rule, M/T tires are ....... than A/T tire
- more slippery in snowy/icy conditions
- louder on pavement
- have slightly shorter tread life
- have slightly lower mpg's

As rule A/T tires with more tread blocks and sipes .....
- have better traction in winter conditions and thunder storms
- do OK in most 4x4 conditions except deep mud
- suck in deep mud
- sometimes have thinner sidewalls.

In snow country, lots of 4x4 owners have M/T's for summer and 4x4 trail use, and A/T's for winter use. You should be able to find a local tire shop that will sipe tires.

The March 2012 JP Magazine has a tire test with 37 tires rated for Mud, Rocks, Sand, Street and Ice. The Cooper S/T Maxx is rated, the Hankook is not.

Pick your tires for you main usage. Between the two choices, the Hankook resembles an A/T with more and smaller tread blocks, so it should have some A/T like road manners and benefits.

Last edited:
First off.., I've ordered a set of 5 DynaPro MT's, for my '89XJ, for the reasons stipulated in a 2011 'mud tire shootout' provided by the technicians at 4 Wheel Drive magazine. The competive tires were weighed in, balanced, and mounted on one test vehicle going through various conditions, i.e., water filled bogs, muddy uphill 's' type curve, etc.

Four Wheeler tested ten 37" mud tires on a JK Rubicon. Here are how they are ranked

1. Hankook Dynapro MT(#1)
2. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
3. Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4. Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
5. Yokohama Golander M/T
6. Pit Bull rocker LT Radial
7. Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
9. Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
10. Maxxis M8060 Trepador

All tires were assessed for manufacturing anomalies, footprint, number of biting edges, rubber compound hardness, road manners and performance on the Top Truck Challenge obstacle course.

It has been a bit over half a year, or so, since the test was performed. It is not a bit more difficult to find the complete article in one easy to find place at the magazine web site's home page. However, here is are some links to pages scattered around within their e-mag. that will get you started to better understand the offerings:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/35/wheels/index.html

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/viewall.html

One thing to consider is that all mud is not equal. The blue clay mud of Louisiana is not like the rocky/slime mud in Coastal Northern California, nor the forever deep tundra/grassy mud of Alaska, (D9 Catapillers have sunk out of sight). What might be better able to fullfill my requirements for the Alaskan muck!? DynaPro is the result of of that study. I'd rather go with the second place tire for the Wrangler Kevlar pluses, but GoodYear does not manufacture a 30" tire which is the diameter limit of my Old Man Emu 2" lift, and I'm not going any higher unless I do the SYE thing to the transfer case, trim the fender flares, etc., etc., etc. Someone on one of these Cherokee sites referenced how his buddy's DynaPro's ripped out the side wall on some rocks. I doubt he was using the MT, but one of the other models with paper thin sidewalls, (I've seen 'em), unlike the 6 ply side wall rated DP-MT.

Which Tire is Best for Sand, Rock, Snow and Mud: A basic understanding:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...is_best_for_sand_rock_snow_and_mud/index.html

I use a set of winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzaks. The lake-ice racing teams/outfitters around here have found that studless tire second to none. My DD requires that I can handle the miles and miles of Alaskan icy/snowed roads. However, they are not capable of deep snow, so I do not go offroad there, lol. The DynaPro MT 'might' be able to deal with deep snow.., as they are often advertised to do so.., but not too well on glare/black ice, unless they are pinned for studs of course. At the same time they can be also sipped, but that's just more to do's. We get a lot of travellers up here that sport tires great for sand, but, lol, guess what?

My figuring is to get the tires that will meet your local needs, as no one tire can do it all. Get a second set, or maybe even a third... To answer your direct questions;
1) Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter travel on ice. Mine plow ok through a foot of snow on the highway. Narrow is better.
2) DynaProMT is touted as best for mud.., flip a coin.
3) Rain tires
4) Already answered by member
5) Sears carry them, (out of stock in AK.).

SO; Hope that all helps.

I'd like to add that the 6 ply rated sidewall of the DynaPro MT is something I read.., not sure about the rate claim. However they are mechanically as 3 plys of poly, and 7 for tread. They are rated 'E' load for the 37 inchers, but the "C" rate seems to be in the 30 inchers. The 37 inchers go for: MSRP: $583.43. The 30 inchers go for $200. ea., plus or minus 25 bucks generally speaking. The DynaPro MT was rated as being the most quiet on the road between the competitors tested.

if you do indeed plan on doing street driving, and use it in the winter... id look into the goodyear duratrac. its going to be cheaper than both, and it is show rated.itll perform just as well in all situations other than deep mud.

No legal places to go off road. This should be a lesson to all here on NAXJA that we need to fight, politically, for our ORV rights.

Elsewise, all the States will go the same way as CT...

I agree that we need to fight the "no off roading" and the "illegal" off road here in CT and the same goes with all the places. I'm all for off roading but only if its legal and if it is illegal I would like to get the owners approval that I can off road there. Not that just trespass and off road illegally.

As a rule, M/T tires are ....... than A/T tire
- more slippery in snowy/icy conditions
- louder on pavement
- have slightly shorter tread life
- have slightly lower mpg's

As rule A/T tires with more tread blocks and sipes .....
- have better traction in winter conditions and thunder storms
- do OK in most 4x4 conditions except deep mud
- suck in deep mud
- sometimes have thinner sidewalls.

In snow country, lots of 4x4 owners have M/T's for summer and 4x4 trail use, and A/T's for winter use. You should be able to find a local tire shop that will sipe tires.

The March 2012 JP Magazine has a tire test with 37 tires rated for Mud, Rocks, Sand, Street and Ice. The Cooper S/T Maxx is rated, the Hankook is not.

Pick your tires for you main usage. Between the two choices, the Hankook resembles an A/T with more and smaller tread blocks, so it should have some A/T like road manners and benefits.

I would get the Cooper S/T Maxx but it only comes in on an 16" rim not on a 15" rim, I'm also looking for a Mud Terrain.

KM2's ftw

Why KM2's I have a friend that has 35" KM2's he likes them but I've read bad things about them not the tire themself but BFG its self, I'd also get them but almost everyone around here has the, and I want to be different from everyone else around here.

First off.., I've ordered a set of 5 DynaPro MT's, for my '89XJ, for the reasons stipulated in a 2011 'mud tire shootout' provided by the technicians at 4 Wheel Drive magazine. The competive tires were weighed in, balanced, and mounted on one test vehicle going through various conditions, i.e., water filled bogs, muddy uphill 's' type curve, etc.

Four Wheeler tested ten 37" mud tires on a JK Rubicon. Here are how they are ranked

1. Hankook Dynapro MT(#1)
2. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R
3. Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ
4. Nitto Trail Grappler M/T
5. Yokohama Golander M/T
6. Pit Bull rocker LT Radial
7. Interco Super Swamper TrXus
8. BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2
9. Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain
10. Maxxis M8060 Trepador

All tires were assessed for manufacturing anomalies, footprint, number of biting edges, rubber compound hardness, road manners and performance on the Top Truck Challenge obstacle course.

It has been a bit over half a year, or so, since the test was performed. It is not a bit more difficult to find the complete article in one easy to find place at the magazine web site's home page. However, here is are some links to pages scattered around within their e-mag. that will get you started to better understand the offerings:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/35/wheels/index.html

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/viewall.html

One thing to consider is that all mud is not equal. The blue clay mud of Louisiana is not like the rocky/slime mud in Coastal Northern California, nor the forever deep tundra/grassy mud of Alaska, (D9 Catapillers have sunk out of sight). What might be better able to fullfill my requirements for the Alaskan muck!? DynaPro is the result of of that study. I'd rather go with the second place tire for the Wrangler Kevlar pluses, but GoodYear does not manufacture a 30" tire which is the diameter limit of my Old Man Emu 2" lift, and I'm not going any higher unless I do the SYE thing to the transfer case, trim the fender flares, etc., etc., etc. Someone on one of these Cherokee sites referenced how his buddy's DynaPro's ripped out the side wall on some rocks. I doubt he was using the MT, but one of the other models with paper thin sidewalls, (I've seen 'em), unlike the 6 ply side wall rated DP-MT.

Which Tire is Best for Sand, Rock, Snow and Mud: A basic understanding:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarti...is_best_for_sand_rock_snow_and_mud/index.html

I use a set of winter tires, Bridgestone Blizzaks. The lake-ice racing teams/outfitters around here have found that studless tire second to none. My DD requires that I can handle the miles and miles of Alaskan icy/snowed roads. However, they are not capable of deep snow, so I do not go offroad there, lol. The DynaPro MT 'might' be able to deal with deep snow.., as they are often advertised to do so.., but not too well on glare/black ice, unless they are pinned for studs of course. At the same time they can be also sipped, but that's just more to do's. We get a lot of travellers up here that sport tires great for sand, but, lol, guess what?

My figuring is to get the tires that will meet your local needs, as no one tire can do it all. Get a second set, or maybe even a third... To answer your direct questions;
1) Bridgestone Blizzaks for winter travel on ice. Mine plow ok through a foot of snow on the highway. Narrow is better.
2) DynaProMT is touted as best for mud.., flip a coin.
3) Rain tires
4) Already answered by member
5) Sears carry them, (out of stock in AK.).

SO; Hope that all helps.

That does help, and it also confirms my earlier reading that the Hankook Dynapro M/T is one of the best tires for mud, however not the best for rain and snow because it is not sipped. But the Hankook DynaPro is able to have studs which I have heard that a studded tire for snow is almost identical to a snow chained tire (confirm or deny).

if you do indeed plan on doing street driving, and use it in the winter... id look into the goodyear duratrac. its going to be cheaper than both, and it is show rated.itll perform just as well in all situations other than deep mud.

Ah the DuraTrac I do love that tire and is most likely the best A/T tire around, however it does not come without flaws. Well, Actually the only flaw I can come up with is the weak side wall. At my local off road shop I have personally seen and felt the side wall deflated and inflated. The deflated side wall seems like I could just poke a hole though it with my finger (exaggeration of course) and the inflated tire on display was a used DuraTrac set that was returned and had visible chunks and slices in the tread and side wall. After feeling the deflated side and seeing how wafer thin it was on the side wall I have concluded that, that tire would not be my next choice ever, actually only if I never off roaded the tire would I purchase it.

A very good tire just not what I am looking for at this point in time.

I've heard terrible things about how the Dynapro's wear (fast). Of the 2 choices I would choose the STT's

I know you wanted Feedback on MTs...

But I won't run MTs anymore on the street, too much of a hazard in the rain or ice (which we get a bunch of here).

I did recently buy a set of Hankook Dynapro ATs. They have large blocks and are siped like nobody's business. They grip nicely on-road. We had a flash floor here recently. Absolutely no issues. Took on trail a week later for a shake down run (Rocks, Sand, some Mud). No issues except in mud (Farm field runoff).

Off-Road, I am having a tough time comparing to my BFG ATs as I am running a 8" rim on the Hankooks and a 10" rim on the BFGs. Also LJ VS XJ.

They cost more than the BFGs, but appear they will do the job they are asked to do (Double Duty, 90% Street).

The SSTs I ran on a previous vehicle. Worked like most any other MT. Poor street manners, good on mud, poor on sand.

Last edited:
The SSTs I ran on a previous vehicle. Worked like most any other MT. Poor street manners, good on mud, poor on sand.

I've not had any problem with wet pavement traction with the STT's in the last two years, but I will agree they are loud and suffer in snow and ice. The sand performance is actually not that bad, but that's with 33X12.5's aired down on 10" rims-- a pretty big foot print. My 235 75 R15's on 7" rims (Pep Boys Dakota MT's which I hear are the same tire without the name) really don't do very well in sand, but are better in snow and ice.

i just got a set of 35x12.5x15 sst's today, they seem decent enough. pretty quiet, and rides nice. im hoping to see how they wheel this weekend.

Stt's > Dynapro's all day long!

What makes the STT superior to the DynaPros? Is it because of the DynaPro's lack of Sipes which would make it suffer in wet conditions I.E snow and rain?

I've heard terrible things about how the Dynapro's wear (fast). Of the 2 choices I would choose the STT's

Where have you heard that the Dynapro's have horrible tread wear I'd like to read it to confirm.

I've not had any problem with wet pavement traction with the STT's in the last two years, but I will agree they are loud and suffer in snow and ice. The sand performance is actually not that bad, but that's with 33X12.5's aired down on 10" rims-- a pretty big foot print. My 235 75 R15's on 7" rims (Pep Boys Dakota MT's which I hear are the same tire without the name) really don't do very well in sand, but are better in snow and ice.

Even with the factory sipping the STT still slips and has poor performance in the wet conditions?

Back