• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taurus Fan Wiring Help

RollinCoal02

NAXJA Forum User
I just acquired a 95 XJ crawler/mudder from my cousin. The clutch fan is going out so i started googling solutions. i ended up buying a Taurus fan and a 100A continuous relay for the high speed. I also tried looking for wiring help but couldnt find what i was looking for. so here is my question

1. Can i wire the low speed on the Taurus fan to the auxiliary fan. so when the Aux fan kicks in the Low speed kicks in. then wire the High speed to a toggle?

2. OR could i wire the low speed to a ignition source so when the jeep is turned on the fan would start. then wire the High speed to the Auxiliary so when it gets warm it will have the extra cooling automatically when it needs it.

I like option 2 but i would assume you would need to shut off the low speed power when high speed kicks in? Any wiring experts out there to give me some direction before i go burning the jeep to the ground:flame:

Use a volvo relay setup, and mount a temp sensor in your coolant hose. Whats the reason you want the fan constantly running when your jeep is on? It'll take forever to warm up and you'll put unnecessary wear on the fan motor.

If its a trail rig only then I see your point. I would still use a volvo relay setup, its so simple. The relay makes it so much easier to function a dual speed fan such as the taurus/volvo fan (same motor). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-954_wpRWsQ

Where he grounds that small wire you would run them into the cab to a switch that grounds it, that kicks on either high or low speed. If you don't already have a tuaurs fan I highly suggest getting a volvo fan with the relay wiring attached.

Heres some diagrams on this forum - http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

Its very simple though, the big thick wire is a positive, the black wire is a negative, and the two small wires coming out of the controller are supposed to be temp triggers for the high and low setting. Instead of using a temp switch you would wire those two small wires up to a switch inside that grounds them. The whole controller itself is ground activated, once one of those small wires is grounded the fan kicks on either high or low depending which one it is.

Grab two of them at a junkyard and cut as much of the wiring and plugs as you can. Theres TONS of volvos in the yard when I went, these fan relays came in a bunch of volvos.

found a good diagram
20120503_013051-1.jpg

Back