• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bolt size/SAE or metric for shocks

JACKO78

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ, 4wd, 4 door, the Selec Trac transfer case(242TC) with part time and full time 4 hi, and 4 low.
I will be replacing front and rear shocks, does anyone know what the bolt sizes are for front and rear....thank you very much in advance

I have a 2000 XJ, 4wd, 4 door, the Selec Trac transfer case(242TC) with part time and full time 4 hi, and 4 low.
I will be replacing front and rear shocks, does anyone know what the bolt sizes are for front and rear....thank you very much in advance

They are probably M8-1.25x25m/m or so, but 5/16"-18X1.25" remains possible. Get both.

NB: If the screw doesn't thread in easily, do not force it! 5/16"-18 and M8-1.25 are often confused - the are virtually the same nominal diameter, and the thread pitch is close enough that you can force a hardened screw through soft material and change the threads! If you can't get it three full turns using just your fingers, you've put the wrong screw in the hole.

They are probably M8-1.25x25m/m or so, but 5/16"-18X1.25" remains possible. Get both.

NB: If the screw doesn't thread in easily, do not force it! 5/16"-18 and M8-1.25 are often confused - the are virtually the same nominal diameter, and the thread pitch is close enough that you can force a hardened screw through soft material and change the threads! If you can't get it three full turns using just your fingers, you've put the wrong screw in the hole.

ok, thank you.

Have you removed those bolts before?
If not, there is a high probability they'll snap on you. Then you pound the remains out, and you can replace with whatever you choose to.
I just had three of four rears snap on me.

Since you live in the rustbelt also, just plan on replacing the bolts. I used 5/16-18 on the lower bolts for the front shocks when I did those recently.

Thank you guys again for your help, I haven't took the shocks of yet, I just wanted to get some new bolts ahead of time cause i'm sure the old ones would break.

Just did this last weekend, and plan for those bolts to snap. You want them to snap. When they do, use a big hammer and a punch or an air chisle to knock the welded nuts out.

After that, take a small piece of wire, and tie it around the end of a bolt and washer, then fish the wire through the hole and pull the bolt and washer up in place. Worked awesome, and turn a headache into the easiest part of the lift.

I used Serrated-Flange Hex Locknuts on mine. Just tape it to the wrench with masking tape, cut out the hole for the bolt and thread it on with the wrench instead of getting my fat fingers up in there.

Back