• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 xj Dana 44 w/o shafts, worth it?

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
Theres a guy selling one of those rare xj "towing package" 44's w/o the shafts or brakes, and he says $200 is a good deal.

I have a 2000 xj... what would it cost to put everything on there? (Im talking budget here) Can I just find another 44 from anything thats the same length and use its parts, or is the xj some kind of special axle?

If you plan on running 33's or bigger, you'll probably want alloy axles and disc brakes anyways.. in which case it does not matter (you would not use those parts>

I'd pay $200 for a d44 housing in a heartbeat if I needed one. Is it right for you? How much work do you want to go through...

You can install crown vic (or others) discs on the axle for under $50 if you get the parts from a JY.

$200 ain't bad for an XJ 44.

$200 is high for a complete axle. Sure, Ive paid $150~ for complete d44's, and thrown the brakes and axleshafts away, but that was before. As was stated, since you have a 2000, do you have ABS? If you have ABS, you'll have the d35, but if you dont, it should be a nice 29spl 8.25, which is in the same league as the d44, dont mess with it unless its broken/breaking.

Dont forget to make sure the gearing matches your front end.

As was said, you could goto the Junkyard, buy an explorer 8.8, weld on perches/shock mounts and adapt the driveline, and be done for under $200ish. But if you buy that housing, you still need to find parts for it, axleshafts are easy, as ive got 3-4 sets in my shed, i bet someone closer to you has some for you as well... then you still gotta track down brakes or do the conversion, yada yada yada, $1000 later.......

Thanks a lot for the replies. I dont think its worth my trouble if I cant just swap it right out and throw tires on it. Im only running on 31's, so I think if I want to change axles it should be broken first, like XCM said. Good advice all around.

Where in Colorado are you located? You should visit the colorado chapter thread for good advice on what parts around here will cost you.

Show us a pic of your rear pumpkin. If its an 8.25, you'll be fine on 31's.

IF you can dodge core charges, or dare i say, NEW brake pads... even then i think your prices are optomistic!

It all adds up!

Agreed. $50 is a best case scenario if you don't need to replace the pads or rotors and go on 50% off day. Nice thing is there's always lots of CV's to choose from.

Back