• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case went kaput

Keithmania

NAXJA Forum User
Was driving home and with no noise, no crunch, no screech, creak, whine, groan, bucking or snap, the transfer case just simply failed. Was wondering if anyone else who had a similar experience. It's an NP231, 21 spline, transfer case in a 1990 Jeep XJ. I was able to shift the transfer case in to 4lo and limp it home but if you put it in 4hi, or 2hi and try to drive it, it just revs... What I am interested in is what probably failed.

What would prevent lubrication? I know there is a small transmission fluid pump at the rear of the t-case but I never have heard of those going bad. Plus, I noticed noise change before it failed. Do they just fail with no symptoms at all?

Either ran it dry or you just got lucky enough to lose the plastic pads on range fork, it ground itself away until it popped out of gear. Usually you are able to shift into 4lo and lip home if this happens. Either way, it's time to split it open and take a look.

I say pads or simply the linkage slipped. Crawl under disco the linkage from the tcase and see if you can rotate the bellcrank on the tcase.

Back