• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

shake start

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 2 door 4.0 every time I start it, it has this quick shake to it. It only lasts for a split second. I assume is just the motor turning over but it seems a little odd that it would have such a hick up. Also it squeals the belt for like a second also. Is this normal?

You have two problems.

Start with the belt. Inspect for glazing, replace if more than 60k on it. Know that the belt for the 4.0 has to be pretty darn tight to stay quiet. I use the Krikit II tension gauge.

If you're sure it's an "engine" miss upon startup, it's possible that you have a leaky fuel injector. When that happens, a little excess raw fuel drips into the cylinder and the engine can miss when first started as it clears that excess fuel.

Also as a matter of course for ANY engine symptom, be sure that your tuneup hardware is fresh. Champion copper plugs gapped to .035, quality plug wires, cap and rotor.

had a leaky fuel injector on my wifes 2000 and it started hard/ lost its prime. Ordered new 5.0 injectors from 5 o motorsports and has never started better.

I will start by replacing the belt.

Gates or Goodyear Gatorback only. Others WILL disappoint. Seriously, I've tried most of the others, and got the tip from some of the seasoned veterans on this board. My local NAPA is the source for Gates belts. I believe they make the Krikit II also. Another must-have!

Any relation to the late, great former Mayor of Philly, Frank Rizzo?

Last edited:
ok new problem. went ahead and changed the belt with a gates one. (that pulley bolt is a pita.) start it up, great no more squeal......but now my battery gauge is really low. before it would only go down if turned the heater or ac on, assuming it was belt slippage cuz of the loud squeal. what did i do wrong? belt feels nice and tight tightened down both pulley bolt and the other one. help!!!

Have you confirmed that your battery is at the same reading as the gauge on the IC?

Again same thing. Thinking my battery looked old I went out and bought a new one. Put it in and same thing. Battery needle reads like at 9 volts. Before the belt change.it would always read at 14 unless I turned on the heater or AC and the belt started to squeal. Is there a possibility that I didn't tighten the belt enough but somehow it's not squealing ? This thing is driving me nuts

Either the belt is not tight enough to power the alternator properly, or you coincidentally developed a problem with your charging system.

IF this symptom only began after you changed the belt, that would be some coincidence so focus on the belt first.

Back