• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Wont start

mikel998

NAXJA Forum User
Well Im new here and my uncle insisted that this is the place.. Well my problem started a couple months ago while up playing in the snow. The plastic tanks on the radiator blew apart on my 2000 jeep.. Well I didnt notice that the one side had a gaping hole in it because it was dark, so I fired the girl up and started heading back down the mtn thinkin it was smaller line or something... well it shut down on me minutes later and I had a buddy pull it home. Got it home put it in the garage and there it sat.. 3 months later I finally decided Ill try and get it back together since we werent fighting any longer.. Got it torn apart and found that the fan clutch was no where to be found just parts. and the radiator in fact was junk. Replace both parts, got it together and now it wont start. just cranks, checked spark got spark, fuel in the fuel rail( stinks like laquer when I turn it over). Finally got it to start let it idle for 5 minutes then shut it off. and back to square one.. she wont start up. What could it possibly be? and my battery is junk. oh and it wont even start on starting fluid... could my throttle body be gummed up? injectors? ANY DIRECTION WOULD BE GREAT...

If the battery is low or was disconnected for an extended period of time, the idle settings were deleted from the ECU. Even with stale gas, it should start and run.

For 1996+ Jeeps, the OBD-II engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator in not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal.

The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will start and idle normally.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace them as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery and/or the alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will probably start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Cleaning the Idle Air Controller (IAC), regular tune-ups, and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

Back