• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE Drop Brackets and frame stiffeners

bmpweXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Yes, I've searched.

I currently have the DBs waiting to be installed and would like to do stiffeners as well. I can't seem to find any resources on this combination. Anyone done it themselves or have a link?

Thanks.

I have RC drop brackets with RE braces and Ruffstuff stiffeners...I had to ream out the holes a bit to fit them on, but they work fine...I drilled and tapped for an extra bolt also

DSCN1529.jpg

Edit...almost forgot...I drilled and tapped an extra hole on each side for the crossmember also. I didn't like how little engagement I had on the crossmember stud. I can still fit the nut on there, but not enough for me to be happy with

I'm talking about weld on frame stiffeners. Looks like you're talking about a crossmember.

Nope - I have the Ruffstuff weld on frame stiffeners...but with the extra thickness of the stiffeners (3/16") and the RE brace, the stud on the crossmember wasnt quite long enough.

Oh, so you're saying you reamed out the holes on the brace so that it could still bolt to the drop bracket while sitting on to of the stiffener is that right?

I must have underestimated the extent of which the braces attach to the DB... I'll have to give that a look.

Oh, so you're saying you reamed out the holes on the brace so that it could still bolt to the drop bracket while sitting on to of the stiffener is that right?

Yeah, with the stiffeners on, the brace will sit a little different...Like souske said, weld the stiffeners on first, then you'll figure out how much you need to move the holes.

Great, I thought this was going to be a bit more involved... good to hear this won't be that much of a PITA.

Thanks, all.

Back