• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Purpose of bolt hole in bell housing

summit94

NAXJA Forum User
Getting close with my rebuilt 2000 XJ. Engine is in place, now trying to ID all hoses, wires, clips, etc. before attaching accessory drives and manifolds.

There is a small bolt thru-hole on driver's side of engine-to-bell-housing joint just below the CPS that has me stumped. None of the many pix I took of the engine bay show what goes there. Some kind of bracket? Help!

4.0 AW-4.

tia,

summit94

Shifter cable is secured by a bracket attached by two bolts at rear of bell-housing where it meets transmission body. Have concluded that the bolt in question simply holds t-converter dust cover to bell housing and perhaps lends a bit of stability to engine/tranny connection.

As long as it's OK to hijack one's own thread, I'll ask about where the bracket holding the tranny- or t-case vent tube attaches to bellhousing on passenger side. It almost looks like it's supposed to be held by one of the infamous Torx-12 bolts up top. If so, mine will just have to live attached to a zip-tie.

summit94

Back