• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 35 with 31's will there be problems?

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
99 5 speed 4.0
I have a Dana 35 with a limited slip diff i run 31's it is my daily driver and it sometimes sees some light trail duty i do have a bit of a heavier right foot but not like im putting it through the floor all the time ive heard that the dana 35 is no good for heavy duty offroading but for what i normally do is there anything to be concerned about?

i never had issues, but i didnt have a limited slip. i beat the crap out of it though.

This will go on and on for sixteen pages about how someone broke on this and someone lived on 39s, etc, etc, etc.

225s and I had issues with an open D35 on the street. Take that for what it is worth.

I'd say run it while you got it, but keep in mind it's less than stellar rep and find yourself an 8.25 to swap in. Or for more work a Ford 8.8, or if you're lucky an XJ D44 since it'll be a direct swap like the 8.25.

I'd say run it while you got it, but keep in mind it's less than stellar rep and find yourself an 8.25 to swap in. Or for more work a Ford 8.8, or if you're lucky an XJ D44 since it'll be a direct swap like the 8.25.

yeah man without a doubt it will be getting swapped asap but will the occasional wheel slippage in the mud or snow cause trouble?

You should be fine with mostly street and occasional light dirt use.
The problem is, there is really no way to predict how long it will last, it will be good until it isn't.

I ran my dana 35 for a while, open on 33's. Wheeled on mostly rocky tails and didnt have a problem. I am no expert but it seems most of the issues come up when you add bigger tires and lock it up. I swapped in a Ford 8.8 with an Ox Locker and I love it. Just my 2 cents.

Ive been running a 35 for 7 years I had 3.07 lsd and 31's for 4 years and now I have another 35 with 3.73 that was lock-righted for 3 years untill the cross shaft failed but didnt break it just clearanced its self in a way that the locker stopped working so I put the open spiders back in it then I bought new 285/75/16's (32.5)and Im not easy on it at all.Mostly Walker valley Wa and its rocky rough muddy trails and I havent any real issue.

There are a couple 8.25s on here for sale less than $100. Cheap and easy upgrade.

carry spares??

I ran 31's on my Dana35 for about a year until I blew the axle seals(mostly street and some light trail rides), Honestly you can find an 8.25 cheap and swap it in.

With a 35, it's luck of the draw. Some will run em with big tires and have no problems, some will see them explode with 30s, open on dry pavement.

just don't be a retard and dump the clutch on dry pavement at high rpm.... dont ask me how i know this... haha

i did that with my friends 8.25 he was like dude check those girls out over there dump the clutch dump the clutch rev it up high and dump the clutch so i do. the end result they laughed at us when we snapped the drive shaft lol

i did that with my friends 8.25 he was like dude check those girls out over there dump the clutch dump the clutch rev it up high and dump the clutch so i do. the end result they laughed at us when we snapped the drive shaft lol
My brother blew up 2nd gear in his 85 Nissan doing the same, except this time was to show off at a couple knuckleheads in their Civic thinking they were cool. Roasted the tires all the way through first, shifted into second and POP! followed by a face saving shift into 3rd...:)

wheeled with a guy yesterday that had 35"s on his 35 and ran that way for 12 years.

he roasted the lockrite on a climb at the same time that he blew a front stub shaft (D30)

He did have a heavy duty cover on the diff to help with gear deflection, and stock gears.

Back