• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 vs NP 242

PRYAPSM

NAXJA Forum User
Here is my situation,
I ordered the wrong SYE and drive-shaft from TomWoods driveshaft. I didn't think to look at the tag on the transfer case, being lazy I thought hay its not all wheel drive so I don't have the 242, duh..

The question is, should I swap the transfer case to a 231 and keep the parts they sent me or keep the 242 in there?

I found a used transfer case for around $200 and they want a $400 core charge for the 242 parts..

Is there major differences between the two transfer cases?

Also I eventually plan to race in Jeepspeed..

Thoughts?

THe 231 is supposedly strong due to not having the internal differential for the full-time (all-wheel drive). Major difference is 231 is part-time 4wd only. And 242 has full-time option. As you can probably tell, the 231 has more aftermarket support. There is also no "real" HD SYE shaft for the 242. The TW 242 SYE is a standard 242 shaft that has been cut and tapped. Choice really is yours.

cool, i did not know that. i have seen jeeps that were advertised as jeepspeed cars and they were 2 wd.
that said, i would go with a 231 since you can easily install a thick chain that will help withstand the stress of jumping and such.

cool, i did not know that. i have seen jeeps that were advertised as jeepspeed cars and they were 2 wd.
that said, i would go with a 231 since you can easily install a thick chain that will help withstand the stress of jumping and such.

Yeah thanks I am going to swap out transfer case, instead of waiting 2 weeks for tomwoods to send me a new drive shaft and output shaft.

Like people have said there is a tons of support for the np231..

231=much simpler
A good thing on a race vehicle, and a jeep.

So I found a 231 from 98 and mine is 98. IS there going to be any problem installing it? Is the spline count different, are the gears different, will all the bolts match up? etc...

everything will just bolt up.I had no problems doing a friends setup.He went fromo a 242 to a 231.Even the lights on the dash worked

Yes, it was a plug and play.No problems.They went to the 23 spline count in 90 or 91.I have put a 96 231 into a 98 that had a 242 in it to start with.Bolts right in.

Yes, it was a plug and play.No problems.They went to the 23 spline count in 90 or 91.I have put a 96 231 into a 98 that had a 242 in it to start with.Bolts right in.

Did you have any problems at all? Anything I need to look out for? For example the torx bolt on top of the transfer case.

Thanks

I have never found a torx on top of a t-case.Only on the trans to block.You'll need to remove the trans mount to see a bolt in there.It is very easy to change out.Have a friend help you with it, found this makes it go by fast and easy.I just use a floor jack when i reinstall the t-case, have your friend jack it up for you and then you can just slide it on and rebolt. I think a 9/16 worked better than a 14mm wrench.Just look to make sure you got all the nuts off.

MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK THE JEEP SO IT DOESN'T ROLL

I have never found a torx on top of a t-case.Only on the trans to block.You'll need to remove the trans mount to see a bolt in there.It is very easy to change out.Have a friend help you with it, found this makes it go by fast and easy.I just use a floor jack when i reinstall the t-case, have your friend jack it up for you and then you can just slide it on and rebolt. I think a 9/16 worked better than a 14mm wrench.Just look to make sure you got all the nuts off.

MAKE SURE YOU BLOCK THE JEEP SO IT DOESN'T ROLL

Yeah we had a torx bolt on top of trans case..

Thanks for your help

Back