• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Carveacre / Pancake Rock CLOSED

1904-96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Did a search and I didn't see anyone talking about it, so I hope I'm not repeating this, but it's a fact. Went out today and the Forestry Service, along with the City of SD and SDGE have built a gate and closed the Carveacre Trail up to Pancake Rock. Rumor is the Forestry Service was tired of all the "new" trails being blazed where they weren't supposed to be and all the trash, beer cans and plastic and glass bottles left up on the Rock. Another nice trail bites the dust. :banghead: Wish I took a pic of the burly gate with 10 locks on it, but the group was so pissed off we hauled ass to Corral Canyon instead and I didn't think of it.

Hopefully it's just temporary, but I guess a reminder to tread lightly, stay on designated trails and pack out what you pack in.

I heard the gate wasn't locked. That sucks I loved that trail. There was always crap on top of the rock. My group would always pick it up

Hopefully it's just temporary, but I guess a reminder to tread lightly, stay on designated trails and pack out what you pack in.

^This!!! Seems like someone is always wanting the land we use/wheel in for something. There is no need to flat out give it to them because people can't pick up there trash or deciede this would be a "cool" spot for a new trail. Its one thing to beat up and distroy your rig but to do it to the land that is available to us for use.. Come on!!! Have a little more common sense.. This sucks. I've only wheeled that trail once and really liked that place. I wonder if a group of us claimed it as an AAT for regular clean up they would consider to re-open?

Anyone know how to go about doing this?

Well I finally did it. I talked to THE guy that was responsible for the gate. It was indeed the City of San Diego Public Utilities department, and it was indeed closed because of abuse, off trail driving, trash, graffiti... all the things that piss us off. He said they do not currently have a plan on when or why they'll close the gate, and there will be no notice given if they do. So that's the bad news.

The good news - I told him my club would like to adopt the trail, put up fences to keep idiots from driving off, clean up trash, and do whatever regular maintenance they would require to keep it open or at least let us put a lock on the fence with theirs so we could access it and ensure that it wasn't driven on by unsupervised yahoos. He was interested and is going to work out the details with the Forest Service, so hopefully we can work something out and come up with a reasonable plan.

I'll post details once they're settled, and will let everyone know what cleanup activities are scheduled if we get to that point. If not, at least we know the details.

Thanks to everyone who helped me get the answers!

-Kevin
President - SD Jeepin'

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f317...ail-closures-1347160/index2.html#post13407213

WTF?! No! I would join forces with whatever club to clean up this trail, paint over graffiti, clean up trash, block offshoots, whatever it takes. I used to do this when I was a volunteer SBNFA OHV patrol. Who's with me? If they don't do it, I will. SoCalXJ.com will adopt it, or whatever.

Cali/Oceanjet, keep us informed of the developments on jeepforum/SD Jeepin over here. I'm not on there.

The San Diego 4 Wheelers does an annual run out here, where they serve breakfast/pancakes on top of the rock. One of the reasons why it's actually called pancake rock. It looks like they are aware of the closure because their pancake run is coming up:

http://www.sd4wheel.com/content/pancake-run-carveacre-road-trail-closed-click-further-info

They've moved the run to Corral Canyon in the mean time. I contacted the president, vice, and run leader for sd4wheel and let them know about this thread.

Last edited:
I'd totally be up for local AAT adoption by NAXJA or SoCalXJ also...

That was the first (rock) trail I ever ran in an XJ, probably 5+ years ago. I ran it in my '90, bone stock on stock tires, not even a disconnected sway bar. The trail was just a little easier back then :). I had no idea what I was in for, or what I was doing (having only done washes or Mexican desert before, not rocks) and had an absolute blast.

Last time I ran it, it was much more rutted and had some new rocks to work around, which made it a nice challenge.

It's definitely a trail worthy of doing whatever's needed to get it re-opened.

I wish they'd invent a way to have an insurmountable pop-up barrier appear in front of the jerkwads that do the irresponsible and damaging crap that gets our trails closed. Or maybe a catapult? :banghead:

Mike -

Can you run with this and rally? I think I speak for NAXJA when I say we'd be glad to help out where possible. I won't be able to get down South anytime soon but there's no reason we can't help out SoCalXJ and other clubs get this done. Get me some info and I'll gladly propose stuff to the SoCal BOD.

Mike -

Can you run with this and rally? I think I speak for NAXJA when I say we'd be glad to help out where possible. I won't be able to get down South anytime soon but there's no reason we can't help out SoCalXJ and other clubs get this done. Get me some info and I'll gladly propose stuff to the SoCal BOD.

Yup. I've already cross-posted to SoCalXJ. I know Marc (CaliXJ) is already in the process of contacting the SD Jeepin guy on our behalf, and he can report back. So Marc is also running with it too. I'll be on the lookout for developments, and availability of man power if we need it. I'm refraining from making phone calls right, as I don't want to flood the utilities and forest service. There are lots of people, and lots of clubs who are aware of this now. Just going to sit back and wait for more info. The SD Jeepin guy seems to be first to contact the utilities as far as I know. I know there are many of the trails up there are clearly labeled as streets and roads, and some are US Forest Routes. So it shouldn't be a problem. We'll get it done.

Last edited:
Mike -

I have a PM out there to Kevin asking for more info and lending our hand in any help we can give getting an AAT program or joining forces helping to get this trail open for use.. I'll keep everyone in the loop with any info i
receive.

Obviously if we can do a clean up run, or an adopt a trail, and it remains open that would be nice. But I'm curious, really, what authority was the gate put up? If the reasoning is truly because a few bad people are trashing the place, is that a good enough reason? And what can we do about it?

It is on Cleveland National Forest Land, so I'm not sure why/how the utilities would be putting up a gate. The forest service can't just close off land. They can if it's necessary for fire, or hazards, but only for up to a year (or so I heard) and it needs to be shown there is enough reason to close it.

The entrance is Carveacre Road on the topomaps, which connects to Forest Route 16S03 / Wisecarver Rd split. Even though the trail is marked 16S03 at the trailhead. Gotta love google map/street view:

http://tinyurl.com/7smwmnx

Last edited:

I have been doing that trail since 1999; so IF we are allowed to Adopt This Trail; you can place my name on the list for cleanup.

IIRC Just4Runs found that gate installed about 2 months ago..... and after some research they discovered that only SDG&E was credited with the installation.

But I'm curious, really, what authority was the gate put up?

It is on Cleveland National Forest Land, so I'm not sure why/how the utilities would be putting up a gate.

I'm curious too.

The guy from Jeepforum says the city claims responsibility. I'm surprised the city would have authority to put gates up on Forest Service land.

I have been doing that trail since 1999; so IF we are allowed to Adopt This Trail; you can place my name on the list for cleanup.

IIRC Just4Runs found that gate installed about 2 months ago..... and after some research they discovered that only SDG&E was credited with the installation.

Yeah, I think I first did this trail in 01 maybe ?

and after some research they discovered that only SDG&E was credited with the installation.

Map of Sunrise Powerlink:
http://protectourcommunities.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/cnf_small.pdf

This map shows a Sunrise Powerlink related structure near the trail-head (structure P26... probably a transmission tower). With Sunrise about 80% complete, I wonder if they are just temporarily closing the area to build the tower?

I'll try to make some calls tomorrow and see if I can find anything out.

did some wheeling yesterday with a member of sd4wheel and he told me they are working with the city to adopt the trail and re-open it.

since they have already done a few cleanup runs out there, they are making headway, but nothing yet.

WOW!! You guys are truely awesome....I was just passing on some information and, as usual, you guys are brainstorming the hell out of this thread. They are all good ideas and of course, I'd be willing to help with clean ups (As long as they don't involve making the trail easier, I like how Mother Nature keeps upping the stakes on this trail)

As far as the utilities and the gate, the Sunrise Powerlink has to be the source. On the way to Carveacre from the north, there are three other gates that are identical. Each of those gates have a freshly graded road out to.....you guess it, a Ginormica-Tower! Just a hunch, but that leads to the question about why the City admitted to the gate and the open mind about reopening it. Are they telling us a lie? (Did I just say City and Lie in the same paragraph?) I swear, if they erect a "DeMaio for Mayor" :wstupid: sign on this gate I will sh*t!

Keep up the inquiries, many of you are farther along in your pay grade than I (Yes, still black....) :looney:

Back