• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231 rear seal leak

Chris Dobbs

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had a rear seal leak on a NP231? The leak i have looks like the trans has presure on the fluid with the amount that comes out. Can the rear section of the transfer case be removed sperate for seal repair?

the tailshaft comes off and you can replace that seal, but it's probably the trans output shaft seal so you'll probably have to pull the tcase. i could be wrong, i dont run an auto, someone should confirm.

The leak and problems started after a hill climb with trasfer case noise jumping out of gaer and hard to get back in 4 low. Got home to find no fluid in trans case filled up and found that the trans case was easy to get in gear idaling in garage. Now leaks like crazy at rear output.

well if the trans is empty and the transfer case is suddenly overfilled, it's obviously the trans and not the tcase output seal.
the shifting may have something to do with the tcase linkage, they're notorious for having trouble.

They are two separate parts The trans and the TC and they dont share fluid. Except the bottle it comes in. Two seals separate the units,3 if you count the O ring between the two.
If the transfer case is dry and hard to shift ---your leak is there, not the transmission.

They are two separate parts The trans and the TC and they dont share fluid. Except the bottle it comes in. Two seals separate the units,3 if you count the O ring between the two.
If the transfer case is dry and hard to shift ---your leak is there, not the transmission.
i thought he said the trans was empty and the tcase was overfull, but after reading it again he said trans case, so i guess that means transfer case and not trans as in transmission. Wish people would skip the slang terms when asking for technical help, especially when they make up their own.

i thought he said the trans was empty and the tcase was overfull, but after reading it again he said trans case, so i guess that means transfer case and not trans as in transmission. Wish people would skip the slang terms when asking for technical help, especially when they make up their own.

10-4

Back