• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Take 2: Cheap Exhaust or Bite the Bullet?

sixty7ss

NAXJA Forum User
My apologies to any who may have been offended by my comment in my last attempt. I redact it.

My original question was:

Should I go with a cheap cat-back, like Dynomax, or bite the bullet and go with something like MagnaFlow or Borla?

Before you reply, please understand that I'm doing this because of damage to my existing system. Please, if all you want to do is tell me how I'm wasting my money and that stock is best, go to a different thread and waste someone else's time.

If you actually have something constructive to say, I welcome your comments.

My Dynomax is doing fine. I've only had it on for a month or two, but it has a nice sound to it while still being quiet. And it was cheap. Be forewarned that it comes with a fancy chrome exhaust tip. I smashed the tip on my first run. Oh well, out will come the Sawzall and off will go the exhaust tip.

My Dynomax is doing fine. I've only had it on for a month or two, but it has a nice sound to it while still being quiet. And it was cheap. Be forewarned that it comes with a fancy chrome exhaust tip. I smashed the tip on my first run. Oh well, out will come the Sawzall and off will go the exhaust tip.

LOL... I figured the tip probably wouldn't last very long. I've been hearing good things about the Dynomax. And yes, they're very inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the pack. Especially now that Summit is giving away a $75 debit card with the purchase of the Dynomax Cat-back Exhaust Kit.

Another thought I've had, kind of along those same lines, is to just have the exhaust dump right after the muffler. Has anyone done that? Does it produce a lot of drone? It would be way cheaper than having to buy or make pipes that go over the axle and it's one less thing sticking out the back of the Jeep to get smashed. Any thoughts?

Another thought I've had, kind of along those same lines, is to just have the exhaust dump right after the muffler. Has anyone done that? Does it produce a lot of drone? It would be way cheaper than having to buy or make pipes that go over the axle and it's one less thing sticking out the back of the Jeep to get smashed. Any thoughts?

be careful where you put it.

ive seen people who didnt give it enough thought, and experienced really hot floor boards. excessive heat on the rear axle or your leaf spring bushing is also really bad.

LOL... I figured the tip probably wouldn't last very long. I've been hearing good things about the Dynomax. And yes, they're very inexpensive in comparison to the rest of the pack. Especially now that Summit is giving away a $75 debit card with the purchase of the Dynomax Cat-back Exhaust Kit.

yes, it sucks. mine is like that since my 3 link wont allow a tailpipe. sounds horrible. buddy's exhaust is like that too, with a flowmaster. also sounds a bit harsh IMO

I'll be cutting mine just ahead of the shackle. Might see about putting a turn down on it.

I would love the borla exhaust too... Hard to bite being a Jeep cherokee. It rocked on my buddies z28, but for the price I got a IRO cat back and have mney left over for a CAI, or other items..

I still may, one day get the Borla. I do expedition style driving so no rocks to worry about...

I had a Dynomax on my previous XJ and liked it. A little drone on the freeway with 30/9.50's and stock gears but not too bad. And like was stated earlier, with the $75 summit card it's hard to beat for the price.

I'll be cutting mine just ahead of the shackle. Might see about putting a turn down on it.
turn down for sure, unless you want melted leaf spring bushings. good reason to go linked in the rear though :D

That's exaxtly what I did. That fancy chrome tip wouldn't clear my new shackles, so I cut it off and welded on a cheap parts store turndown. No issues. I bent the chromie all to heck the first time out wheeling anyway . . .

Someone Should figure out a way to incorporate an exhaust to come out the side like the Shelby cobras... Could have it tie into the front of your rock slider and exit out the back :) could be like a big chambered exhaust ;)... (not being serious just woke up and my idea sounded kinda funny :D)

I've had a full Borla exhaust on my 94 for better than 10 years now. I did have to cut the tip off, and put a turn-down on it due to interference with the spring & shackle after I put the BOR leaves on. It's held up well, although I have been a little careful to not drop it on a rock. Replacing the cat after it'd been in place for a few years was nice & easy. Would I do it again? Sure, if I had the money, they are pricey.

Someone Should figure out a way to incorporate an exhaust to come out the side like the Shelby cobras... Could have it tie into the front of your rock slider and exit out the back :) could be like a big chambered exhaust ;)... (not being serious just woke up and my idea sounded kinda funny :D)

Make lake pipes out of rock rails? Interesting....

one the side topic of where the exhaust dumps out.. I crumpled up my tail pipe on a stump so as a trail fix I just cut it after the muffler. after my 3+ hr ride home I found it had almost melted completely through my gas tank.

some body mentioned glass pacts, Ive got one with a down turn welded to the end. Im pretty happy with it. cheap too. like 13$

Back