• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diving into my D30 this weekend - Advice?

NW99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Got a screaming deal on a Spartan for my D30 last week, and was going to attempt the install. I know it can be done without removing the carrier, (or so i've read/been told) ...but i'm also going to be doing my axle seals at the same time.... which I know I need to remove the differential in order to do.
My questions are this:
  • Do I need a case spreader to get the differential out? (and if so does anyone have one I can borrow?)
  • Do I need to check/adjust backlash before/after doing this job?
  • I'm going to assume that if any adjustment are needed I'll have to pick up some shims from the parts store. (is that right?)
  • Do I need any special tools in order to do the axle seals?

My FSM of course shows all these crazy specialty tools, which I've heard, more often times than not, are not always necessary.
Any and all advice is much appreciated, and if anyone is willing to help me out this weekend that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance guys!

When I did my Aussie, I had to remove the carrier, you need to get the pin out and you cant if the ring gear is on ( It was in the way on mine ) I didnt need anything to do it as far a special tools. I made a tool to press the seals in, that was it. No adjusting the back lash. I didnt need shims either. Pretty simple, about 4 hours or so.

Ive never used a spreader just make sure that you mark the bearing caps and put them back they way they came.Ive done this 3 times on a D 35 and have been fine.

Yeah make sure you mark exactly where & how the bearing caps come off.

When I did my Aussie, I had to remove the carrier, you need to get the pin out and you cant if the ring gear is on ( It was in the way on mine ) I didnt need anything to do it as far a special tools. I made a tool to press the seals in, that was it. No adjusting the back lash. I didnt need shims either. Pretty simple, about 4 hours or so.
You got a pic or anything of this tool? Maybe describe how you made it at least? I'd rather spend a few buck at the hardware store, than a few hours or wasted labor..... anything to make this go easier is going to be of great benefit.

Yeah make sure you mark exactly where & how the bearing caps come off.
I was going to use a punch, and make a little mark on each one to identify its placement (side and orientation.) - i figured that would be enough... is there something I'm leaving out?

Great write up, let me add, put the ring gear back on the same way it came off. Mark the case & the ring. Second make sure you have a clean space. The most trouble you might have is installing the springs in the locker. The small and springie!!! But its a good write up, you shouldn't have any major trouble.

As far as the seal tool, I took a piece of pipe ( about 2" long x just under the dia. of the axle tube, connected it to a long rod that I could slide in the tube from either end and tap the seal into place. ( imagine a marshmallow on a stick )

I'm going to get started on this project here in about another hour or so. I'll post up pics, and write up of the whole thing in my build thread later this evening when I'm done.
Thanks for all the advice, tips, and tricks everyone....
Any last minute words of wisdom?

Back