• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the entire ABS system...

Murph70

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and haven't been able to find exactly what I am looking for which is this:
I currently have ABS on my 94 XJ. I am swapping in a Ford 8.8 and I want to get rid of my entire ABS system since it doesn't work on the 8.8 and I want to free up some room to do the driver's side cowl CAI mod.
Is there a write up on how to do this for those of us who are mechanical idiots? Any help would be very much appreciated...

Frank, I tried your link but I get, "sorry, no matches"...
Also, it would seem from my limited researching abilities that The bendix system was in the pre-1990 variety of the XJ and that to disable the ABS on my 1994 I would simply need to pull the fuse. This, however, doesn't solve my space problem to be able to do that driver's side cowl CAI that I would like to do...
I'm searching now to try and find a write up on this...

So after several more hours of research and pouring over a chilton manual, it seems that the ABS system in my '94 XJ is the TEVES Mark 4 or the MK-IVG system and not the Bendix system.
Unfortunately, all I can find on here (or the CherokeeForum for that matter) is numerous threads about how bendix systems suck, etc, etc.
So now that I know what ABS system I have, and knowing that I am swapping over to a Ford 8.8 and would like to free up some space under my hood for the CAI mod, can anyone direct me to a write up or a thread which will cover my three main questions:
First, what is involved or how do I remove my ABS system entirely and convert to a non-ABS system AND
Second, which is better, the '96+ XJ brake parts or the Grand Cherokee brake parts and which conversion is more user friendly for the mechanically inept AND
Third, when I do make the trip to the JY, what are all of the parts that I will need to pick up in order to do the conversion?
Additionally, if anyone can direct me to a comprehensive write up on how to install the "new" parts, I would very much appreciate that as well...

My advice is the same as when we talked on the phone.

The fact that you're removing a non-Bendix system doesn't really matter at this point. Simply remove any and all ABS related components.

Grabbing parts from a WJ will get you a Dual Diaphragm Booster, larger m/c, and the correct proportioning valve for your rear disc brakes. You can also grab some front brake lines from a non-ABS XJ while you're at the JY.

Thanks guys - I just look at all of the lines on this ABS unit and it makes my head spin - this jeep isn't necessarily my dd but I'm dying to get on with this build and get out and play...

Back