• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 Pattern question

xjsport96

NAXJA Forum User
Started setting up the 4.56 gears for my dana 30 today and ran my first pattern. My backlash is at 18 thousandths and according to the pattern chart i need to add more shim to my pinion.
Am i right in thinking that when i add the shim to my pinion it should decrease my backlash and bring it closer to spec? And how much should i add to my pinion shim for my next attempt?
Drive side
photo4.jpg

photo.jpg

Coast Side
photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Backlash will move the pattern toe-heel...pinion depth is indicated by face and flank.

I'll bet that pattern doesn't need more than .003-.005" of shim to dial in.

To deep. I'm horrible a estimating how much to shim to remove so I won't make any guesses. But take some out and try again....

Edit: Okay I lied, I'd would take out .005" from the pinion stack.

Update
Removed .003 from the pinion, really happy with this pattern. How does it look?
Backlash- .008
Preload- 35 in/lbs

Drive
newpattern2.jpg

Coast
newpattern.jpg

Still to deep, IMO, but it is better than before.
Still some sharp cutoff at the root of the teeth.

I'd be happy to throw my .02 in. you could try pulling another 003 or less out. but its so close that it really won't make a difference. Try to look past the obvious pattern where you applied the marking compound and look around the ring gear 1 pinion rotation out where the compound is reapplied to the ring gear. might surprise you. I've had it look to deep @ obvious spot but come out perfect in the residual marks. Also look at the pinion itself. when you've done enough gearsets, you learn to read the pinion markings as well.. I also like to look at the pattern that is sometimes present on the gear from the mfg and compare.
Oh one other thing that tells you the gears are going to run smooth. when your taking the pattern, you should be spinning the ring gear causing the pinion to move and not the other way around. And when you rotate the ring gear you should be able the feel the mesh of the gears. I can feel the difference between a good pattern and one that needs more adjustments.

actually, I just took a second look and from what I can see, that pattern looks damn near perfect.

Back