• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rust on my rusty's shocks

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4.0L AX15,DANA 30,Dana 35

My rusty's lift kit is just a little more than a year old and the shocks are beginning to rust my friends have rough country's that are much older without rust on the shocks does anyone else have this problem with their rusty's? could it be because i live in CT and they are built in Alabama they don't make them as rust resistant? i do plan on getting some spray paint and painting them......

Salt.

My 5 month old Bilstein 5100s on my pickup are doing the same thing. Part of living in the northeast. As long as it isn't the shaft it isn't going to effect the performance at all (not that white bodies have much performance to begin with).

Same with my Skyjackers...rusted all to hell....I sanded them down and painted them...they look good as new now.

Photo1751.jpg

Photo1752.jpg

IMG_4556.jpg

Photo1749.jpg

IMG_4553.jpg

Fox shocks come with instructions to wax your shock bodies with many many layers before installation, it really helps them last on a DD. Im sure you could do something similar on your white rockets, to at least help slow down the rust.

It doesn't affect performance true...but when you have a lifted Jeep with lots of wheel well clearance and all you can see is rust from the shocks, it makes a good looking vehicle look pretty bad.

simplest answer, move lol
rust was one of the biggest reasons i left the east coast.

but yea, just keep repainting them. i wouldnt use flat paint, it seems to absorb moisture somewhat and rust out faster. you could use por 15, but that's worth more than the shocks.

I have had good luck with the "appliance epoxy" spray cans from Ace. It has an almost plastic finish, no texture to accumulate grime.

It doesn't affect performance true...but when you have a lifted Jeep with lots of wheel well clearance and all you can see is rust from the shocks, it makes a good looking vehicle look pretty bad.

Easy solution, go wheeling and cover them with mud......No more rust! :D

My old pair of skycraper shocks did the samething and I just sanded them down put a few coats of primer and a few coats of hammerrite on them. They held up fine after that.

Back