• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Binding but can't see why?

SolarBell

NAXJA Forum User
Recently I experimented with changing my steering to an inverted T with an OTA track bar mount. In the process I hadn't planned on moving the track bar OTA, but it ended up that way. See this thread for more info:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1080144

When I was done with the initial work, because the track bar work was unplanned it ended up with bushings on both ends.

IMAG0293.jpg.

I found later that the track bar was binding up on droop so I rebuilt the track bar with heims and misalignment spacers (no pic, have to use some imagination until I take one). Now even after I changed it around I am still binding on droop. Lowering the axle straight down the droop stops about 1"-2" from where it would if the track bar was disconnected. None of the travel on the heims looks to be hitting or binding on the misalignment spacers, so I'm not sure what would be causing it.

Ideas?

Looks like the passenger side of the track bar may be hitting the bracket.

You may be running out of movement on the control arm bushings. As the suspension droops the axle is displaced to the driver side. If the LCA bushings cannot flex enough in that direction it may be binding up.

Sorry to hijack, but what bracket is that used to connect the draglink to the tierod?

he made it.

my guess is the steering heim on top is running out of angular misalignment. with the track bar disconnected, it can move to the side, changing the angle and allowing it to droop more. with the track bar connected, it cannot. try disconnecting the heim from the pitman and see what it does.

my guess is the steering heim on top is running out of angular misalignment. with the track bar disconnected, it can move to the side, changing the angle and allowing it to droop more. with the track bar connected, it cannot. try disconnecting the heim from the pitman and see what it does.

I had the same steering setup in place when I was messing with my bushing-based track bar. Removed the other track bar but left all the steering in place and it drooped right down until the LCA's hit the brackets.

You may be running out of movement on the control arm bushings. As the suspension droops the axle is displaced to the driver side. If the LCA bushings cannot flex enough in that direction it may be binding up.

My LCA's have a joint on the frame side. Would that still cause that?

Something I forgot to mention - Normally sitting at ride height I can freely rotate the track bar and drag link somewhat within what the heims can rotate, a 1/4" or so either way. Drooped all the way down I can still rotate the drag link freely, but the track bar will not. Like I said, I can't see any contact on either end from limitations of angular movement, so I suspect it's due to pushing or pulling forces compressing the balls inside the heims.

that's exactly what i was talking about. a drop pitman arm may be in order.

or a new drag link lengthened to accommodate a bend in it to help the angle at the pitman arm.

^ x2

Mount that tie rod OTK, it seems like the clearance is just as bad as a stock steering. I run JCRs OTK with the trackbar in the stock axle mount (RK track bar and frame bracket) and don't hit my diff cover or run out of droop running a 3 link long arm. A drop pitman arm wont help much, it will only drop it down an inch give or take.

If the heim is in fact binding at the steering box be careful! Broken pitman arms, worn out/sheared steering shafts, or broken box tabs can be pretty dangerous. Your setup sure does look pretty though :)

Last edited:
Took some pictures. Here is the setup at ride height. If you want to give me grief about the heim setup feel free, I accept donations to rebuild via cash or Paypal.. :D

12+-+5

12+-+8

At full droop:

12+-+4

12+-+3

12+-+2

A picture of the drag link when it actually hits full droop:
12+-+9

Last but not least, a picture of the drivers side UCA frame-side mount at full droop:
12+-+10

Like when vanimal said its probably due to the side to side movement of the axle. Which wont affect the drag or track bar individually but when together will cause binding.

Your still running stock upper control arms that have zero side movement that's where your binding is coming from

to the OP: ok i guess you're the expert, good luck!

Wow, um ok. I didn't realize I was coming across like that. Was really not my intention. I'be found myself having poured most of the money I had into a setup that is not great, and I just want to make it work better without spending a ton more money. Makes me have a bit of tunnel vision. I'll take a look at what it would take to do what you suggested. I do appreciate the help.

LOL sorry man, i was a bit drunk last night, probably came out worse than i meant

Back