• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil springs

rockclimber

Associate
NAXJA Member
I'm tired of my re 3.5"s.

I want to stay around 4" of lift, looking for something with a longer extended length, maybe a softer rate, possibly progressive.

what are y'all running? currie? etc.

thanks.

I would go with RE 4.5's. Can be found pretty cheap through seriousoffroad. They are pretty soft. If they are too tall, just cut them down a bit. Much softer ride than the 3.5's

I could be off a bit, but I think your 3.5's are around 230 lb/in and the 4.5's are closer to 180 lb/in

everything i read put the 4.5 RE's at 240. if they're 180, that's about what i'm looking for myself.

thats an idea. does anyone have the numbers on the extended length of the RE 4.5"s?

not me, but 165 is pretty soft so i suspect they might be fairly long. just start a "how do i keep my coil springs from falling out?" thread if they're too short :D Rusty's are 150lbs/in and those seem REALLY soft, probably too soft. i think they're a little over 22" extended. I know Mike G is swapping his 5" rusty's out for RE springs because he said they're too soft.

not me, but 165 is pretty soft so i suspect they might be fairly long. just start a "how do i keep my coil springs from falling out?" thread if they're too short :D Rusty's are 150lbs/in and those seem REALLY soft, probably too soft. i think they're a little over 22" extended. I know Mike G is swapping his 5" rusty's out for RE springs because he said they're too soft.

lol...that thread was fun.

one of the reasons I am looking into progressives is because I don't want something too soft, but I want the coil to stay retained throughout my 12" of frt travel.

its odd, Currie has a 4.5" lift, but they don't have a 4.5" progressive spring listed...

I really like my Deaver coils, but I'm pretty sure they're a 5.5".

yea, deavers would be nice, they are on the list but I would hate to spend the $$ just to cut them down.

anyone have experience with the motion offroad progressives?

keep in mind that the spring rate changes when you cut them down. it's rated over the length of the spring, so if you cut it down it will be stiffer.

Darky, i didnt realize you had that much lift. i would have guessed 4.5"

I'm running about 5.5 up front and RE 3.5 leafs with JKS 1" Boomerang shackles out back. The RE leafs definitely run tall since they're running level with my 5.5 coils with just a 1" shackle lift.

well that confirms that i've never been on a run where my jeep hasnt been the smallest :D Nimrod might have me beat actually, but i think that's a first.

if you want to "soften" a coil spring, you want to shave it, not cut the length. taking a grinder and making the coil spring thinner will soften the spring.

just notch every coil! :D

I was thinking about just welding a couple stocker's together...will that work?

but seriously, I'm considering the motion offroad, 4.5" progressives. 115lbs on the soft end, 160lb on the heavy.

I don't have enough experience with different spring rates to make a good call though. I'm not really into go-fast, but I do want to be able to run across a desert road to get to and from trails without too much time on the bumpstop :)

I should say that I'm also running bilstein 7100s with 255/70 valving.

thoughts?

that spring rate seems light as XXXX. i dont remember reading why you want something softer? that and everything to come out of motion offroad suck donkey balls, that dude has been stealing parts/designs and putting his name on them for a LONG time. he was banned from JF a few years ago a few times with different accounts he made up to back up his lies.

tell us how you really feel :rofl:

I guess motion is out.

next?

Back