• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle rebuild?

OnorOffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I bought some axles from another Naxja member. They have been used for quite a few years on two different rigs. As yet there is no known issues with these axles but I was thinking it would be a good idea to pull them apart and make sure everything looks good inside, clean em up, paint em, reseal them etc. I've never pulled axles apart before this, and I figure it would be a good learning experience since they are off the Jeep. Good idea or no?

I bought some axles from another Naxja member. They have been used for quite a few years on two different rigs. As yet there is no known issues with these axles but I was thinking it would be a good idea to pull them apart and make sure everything looks good inside, clean em up, paint em, reseal them etc. I've never pulled axles apart before this, and I figure it would be a good learning experience since they are off the Jeep. Good idea or no?
Good idea. Very good idea. This is one time when ignorance is NOT bliss.

Now is the easiest time you'll ever have. The PO may have swore up and down they were good and with honest intent. Unless he tore them down he really knows nothing about the innards. Besides, new seals are always warranted.

Well, I didn't tear them down due to time/money/logistic issues. I ended up just swapping out my axles. The rear axle is fine, no issues so far. The front axle... well, so far the pinion seal is leaking (NBD) but I also noticed today that the right side is leaking from the hub. I'm assuming at least the outer seal is bad. I've been looking around the forums for the procedure but I can't find it. I looked in my haynes manual but it says to leave it up to the dealer..

Does anyone know or know where I can find the procedure for replacing the inner/outer axle seals? Or at least just the outer?

If it's a D30 without the axle disconnect, then only has an inner seal. Those are changed from inside (requires removing the carrier). Make sure it's leaking first...maybe some just escaped if someone pulled the axle shaft recently.

Back