• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mj 2x4 swap 4x4

CoryMJ89

NAXJA Forum User
so i have an 89 eliminator comanche 4 lt with a 5 spd thats a 2x4 that i want to convert to a 4x4 but i want to put 91 and newer running gear in it. i dont know if theres a difference in bellhousings is different between the ax-5 and ax-15 bellhousing? and or can i still use the tranny thats in it already?, also are the tcases different splines in the 91 and newer and 90 and older? where do i find leafs for the rear for lift or just use the stock ones, how much longer are the springs than the xj's? give your thoughts please much appreciated

in my opinion you should find a donor xj (91+) and swap everything over. easiest way with least headaches.

Go on Comancheclub.com, search 4wd conversion and you'll find a ton of threads step by step detailing how to do it

Why 91 and newer? Since you have an 89 you may have either a BA10/5 or AX15. The ax5 was never used with a 4.0l. Either way you need a 4wd AX15 and depending what year you may need to change pilot bushings.

The t case splines went from 21 to 23 around 93,IIRC. Just make sure you get one that fits whatever transmission you use.

As far as springs an SOA will get you about 6" of lift with your current springs,for SUA you will need to buy new leaf packs. XJ springs are way too short and won't work.

the 35 but i planed on gettin the cherokee d35 because its already spring over
and if i have the ba10/5 am i able to put a 4x4 transfercase behind it it or no? or do i have to get a all new tranny?

you would have to modify your transmission to make it 4x4, cheaper and waaaaay easier to pick up a 4x4 ax15 and swap it in

the 35 but i planed on gettin the cherokee d35 because its already spring over
and if i have the ba10/5 am i able to put a 4x4 transfercase behind it it or no? or do i have to get a all new tranny?

XJ spring perches are not at the correct width to just use as a springover in an MJ. It is actually easier to weld new perches on an MJ axle to make the MJ spring over.

My son and me converted this 2x4 to 4x4. Used 98 XJ running gear with AX15 trans and 231 transfer case 4.5 inch lift. SOA on 8.25 in rear. Really pretty straightforward project, haven't had much experience with Jeeps up until this, I'm hooked. Looking for another MJ, doubt I'll get another one as cheap as this one, traded a set of tires for it.
image1.jpg

My son and me converted this 2x4 to 4x4. Used 98 XJ running gear with AX15 trans and 231 transfer case 4.5 inch lift. SOA on 8.25 in rear. Really pretty straightforward project, haven't had much experience with Jeeps up until this, I'm hooked. Looking for another MJ, doubt I'll get another one as cheap as this one, traded a set of tires for it.
image1.jpg
How did you get only 4.5" of lift going SOA?

Back