• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

botched my brake job

995speed

NAXJA Forum User
so i messed up replacing my rear brakes i did one drum and barely got it in i had to replace a wheel cylinder at that time too. i bled the brakes with no sucess my brake pedal still goes down to the floor im going to be taking it into the shop tommorow to have a professional replace the brake shoes and bleed the brakes my truck has ABS which doesn't work will they be able to bled my brakes without my trucks ABS functioning? ik i shouldn't have a busted ABS module but i am capable of stopping my truck without a problem in any kinds of weather without it through various techniques i learned from my father ik they are going to try and get me to replace the thing but i dont want it replaced so i want to know if it can be done without replacing it.

Yes, you can bleed the brakes in an ABS system as long as there is not air in the ABS solenoid - its just like doing it without ABS. I have bled my brakes several times. If you have air in the ABS solenoid you will need the dealer to bleed it for you.

If they want you to replace the ABS solenoid, just remove it and T-splice the lines together. There is a really good write-up on here for "ABS removal".

About the only things you can do to botch a rear brake job is to not get the leading and trailing shoes right. After that it is a matter of adjusting the shoes and if you replaced the brake cylinder, getting it bled. How did you bleed it? I do not believe in gravity bleeding. While I now have an electric vacuum bleeder, I can't tell you how many brakes I have bled with a person pumping the pedal.

Yes, you can bleed the brakes in an ABS system as long as there is not air in the ABS solenoid - its just like doing it without ABS. I have bled my brakes several times. If you have air in the ABS solenoid you will need the dealer to bleed it for you.

If they want you to replace the ABS solenoid, just remove it and T-splice the lines together. There is a really good write-up on here for "ABS removal".

how would air get in there?

Run the reservoir COMPLETELY out of fluid, and then activate it. I've done this on a Lexus pump, and it destroyed it. Their pumps also activate in all kinds of situations, car on or off.

About the only things you can do to botch a rear brake job is to not get the leading and trailing shoes right. After that it is a matter of adjusting the shoes and if you replaced the brake cylinder, getting it bled. How did you bleed it? I do not believe in gravity bleeding. While I now have an electric vacuum bleeder, I can't tell you how many brakes I have bled with a person pumping the pedal.

im pretty sure i got the shoes right since it is stopping properly and the wheel can spin freely it may not be adjusted 100% accurately but this is why i am taking it in to a professional and have it looked at and never touching drum brakes again i should have done this in the first place though..... well least i learned a bit through it all.

Run the reservoir COMPLETELY out of fluid, and then activate it. I've done this on a Lexus pump, and it destroyed it. Their pumps also activate in all kinds of situations, car on or off.

i didnt do that in fact i was making certain through the hole process that the reservoir didnt go empty

okay so i went to pep boys today told them i needed them to replace my right rear shoes which i had all the hardware for and my brakes bleed they come back to me saying i need new drums which is somewhat beleiveable and i need a new right rear wheel cylinder because it is leaky that I call b******t because they thing wasnt leaky when i had the drum off and it sure didnt spring a leak in a matter of a few hours. anyway for all this work they wanted $560.15 no i did not put the decimal in the wrong place they wanted $560 to which i said how do you get that figure well the brake fluid system exchange aka the bleed was $66.99 and they wanted 30 bucks for the wheel cylinder i got my left rear one from autozone for 10 bucks and they wanted like 80 bucks per drum so i told them they could forget it put the truck back together and get it out of the bay. long story short i am going to take it to a certfied mechanic i have gotten to know and trust really well once he gets back from vacation or I might have a Jeep buddy come by and help me but seriously $560 for just a few minor parts and a brake bleed? I can throw in a ford rear end for not much more!

Make sure you have the rear brakes adjusted right before you bleed the system.Start at the right rear and then go to the left rear.Check fluid every 4 pump and bleeds, this way you'll never run it dry.

Good luck

If it were me, I'd do another bleed of your brakes.

Make sure you start with the furthest tire from the master cylinder, usually passenger rear....make sure there is no air in it at all. Air bubbles have a unique talent for hiding.

And if you're not using a brake bleeding kit, you might consider at least grabbing some clear tubing you can attach to the bleeder valve....it will often show tell tale signs of residual air that are unseens when it comes spurting out without it.

Now, if you somehow blew a seal in your wheel cylinder, then that will certainly create an air leak. But a wheel cylinder is two bolts and a brake line...not the most difficult to change....of course, you do have to remove and reinstall those shoes again. :banghead:

If it were me, I'd do another bleed of your brakes.

Make sure you start with the furthest tire from the master cylinder, usually passenger rear....make sure there is no air in it at all. Air bubbles have a unique talent for hiding.

And if you're not using a brake bleeding kit, you might consider at least grabbing some clear tubing you can attach to the bleeder valve....it will often show tell tale signs of residual air that are unseens when it comes spurting out without it.

Now, if you somehow blew a seal in your wheel cylinder, then that will certainly create an air leak. But a wheel cylinder is two bolts and a brake line...not the most difficult to change....of course, you do have to remove and reinstall those shoes again. :banghead:

yeah i did another bleed pedal is much better not 100% yet but better. i replaced my left rear wheel cylinder when i did the left rear shoes the right rear i had the drum off and didnt see a leak in the wheel cylinder so pep boys was full of it. im taking it to my mechanic back home to do the other side shoe and put the new drums on i just dont have the time to do it myself right now with finals right around the corner and the semester coming to a close but i do appreciate the help guys.

Back