• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

235/85/16's on Moab's ?

BlackCTXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just about done putting a RE 3.5 on my 2000 Xj

Had a 97 a few years ago but sold her and had to pic up another XJ

I have a set of 16" - 8" wide stock MOAB rims off a 2004 Rubicon and wanted to put 235/85/16's pizza cutters on them.

I know KM2's of the same size want you mounting them on 6.5-7" rims.

Will the extra inch be unsafe? - I know I run the risk of scrubbing the rim on trail nastys but oh well -

I've search all around and have not found any information on "if" this will work

Can anyone speak to this ? images ?

That's a huge sidewall, so you'll be fine. I had some 235/75/15's mounted on 8" soft 8's for a long time. They were a little annoying to seat the bead, but other than that no problems. Aired them down plenty, and beat the piss out of them. Never lost a bead or had any issues.

you will get odd wear characteristics. you want to stay with at least a 245/75 for the width with the 8" wide moabs. it will "work" just fine, but i dont like the idea of buying a new tire knowing i am not going to get the max life out of them.

if your stepping up to a RE 3.5" lift, your going to think 235/75 is small. i vote 245/75R16 (though i still think they are small). they would look fine without cutting the fenders.

He said 85 series sidewall, that's a significantly taller tire.

Here's a 235/85/16 next to a 265/75/16

5203028700_438face21e.jpg

I considered both 31x10.5x15’s and 245/75/16’s but didn’t feel they filled the fender wells appropriately…
Given a scored a deal on a set of MOAB rims I was sold on going with Metric’s + they look bad ass
Yes, 235’s are significantly narrower than 265, and just slightly narrower than 245’s – based on the calculations 235/85/16’s = 32’’x9.25x16 (manufacturer say they are 31.7”x9.25x16)
With stock 3.55 gears I know I could spin 245/75/16’s all day, however I was hoping to add a touch more height with the 235/85/16’s – given the tire is taller, the reduced friction/drag of a narrower tire would be easier to spin (compared to a 32’’x11.5)
DanMAN2K06 – Do you have any images on what the sidewall looks like in relation to the rim ? I’ve tried searching google images with little luck.
The rims are super clean right now – I don’t want these tires to be a death sentence to their condition
I’ve chalked tires before – how do you think the tires will wear ?

With a wider rim, narrower tire, you are going to have to increase pressure in order to flatten the tread so it wears evenly. I predict you will hate the harsh ride.

Never considered that concept - Not to mention the RE rear leafs are stiff to begin with. I get the feeling with 8" wide Moabs I'm not left with many options.... I guess 245/75/16's is all I can do....

I have the RE springs on my work bench now - smallest leaf is being removed (loss of 0.5") and liners are being added between. Using 1" lift shackles to make up the difference.

i dont understand the idea of removing a leaf and then adding a longer shackle. my RE leafs are stiff, but shackle angle kills my ride more than anything. they flex great offroad. id fear for spring wrap and ultimately ruining the pack if i removed a leaf.

245/75
255/70
265/70
275/70
285/70
so on...
and so on...

im guessing you want to stick with something around a 31?

You are invariably going to rub with the RE 3.5" lift.

32 Is too big for this lift, as Rubicon points out. I've seen people manage something by adding shackles in back and poly spacers in front, but it degrades the lift quality and geometry, and still rubs...

If you have factory flares, 31x10.5 fills the wells plenty with nice room for flex...

If you have factory flares, 31x10.5 fills the wells plenty with nice room for flex...
i keep hearing this, but i destroyed both of my fenders and rear quarters from flexing on a similar lift with 31x10.5's. my jeep must be special LOL

i dont understand the idea of removing a leaf and then adding a longer shackle. my RE leafs are stiff, but shackle angle kills my ride more than anything. they flex great offroad. id fear for spring wrap and ultimately ruining the pack if i removed a leaf.

This can be beneficial, when done in moderation (minus leaf/longer shackle). A more arched pack will almost always equal a stiffer ride with less flex. With shackle relocation brackets [I understand not everyone has them], you can get the best ride, with the best angle, and a decently proportioned shackle that will allow maximum flex. Too long of a shackle, and you're asking for a squirrley rear.

FWIW on a mild lift, 265/75/16 was, and still is, my favorite tire size. Also forgot that most 85 series tires are E-rated. My buddy has them on his cummins 3500, and even on that tank of a truck it still rides like they're made out of wood.

245/75
255/70
265/70
275/70
285/70
so on...
and so on...

im guessing you want to stick with something around a 31?

Yes, I'd like to be around the 31'' mark or just below 32"

I really want to run the 235/85/16 on the Moabs - I'll look for 255/70's, gotta see a set of 265/70's on someones rig. I've seen 265/70's on a F-250
and they seem offly wide.

*In terms of the springs, I intended on taking the shortest spring out + adding leaf spring liners between each spring + using 1" Daystar lift shackle and re-drilling them to provide 0.5" of lift. I doubt it will adjust my angle that much...The RE springs are 3/8" wide vs 1/4" = stiffer material.

Opinions?

Oh - anyone know the width of the springs?

You are invariably going to rub with the RE 3.5" lift.

32 Is too big for this lift, as Rubicon points out. I've seen people manage something by adding shackles in back and poly spacers in front, but it degrades the lift quality and geometry, and still rubs...

I run 265X75X16s on Moabs with the RE 3.5" lift & they do not rub.

I do run a front aftermarket HD bumper that eliminates those crappy bumper ends that stick into the wheel wells on the XJ.

I run 265X75X16s on Moabs with the RE 3.5" lift & they do not rub.

I do run a front aftermarket HD bumper that eliminates those crappy bumper ends that stick into the wheel wells on the XJ.
then you must not fully flex it out

then you must not fully flex it out

No need to, I have ARBs Front & rear, But when I do it does not rub.

Even after 2 years & adding 400Lbs in the rear over last winter (To help break them in, They initally gave the XJ about 5" of lift) I still measure 4.25" Lift from the rear RE 3.5 full pack & just under 4" in the front from the coils.
I did add 1 extra coil isolator in the front to even it out a bit, so the front no sits about 4.2 inches.

I dont know if this is the norm or not but my RE 3.5" lift is sitting @ about 4.25" after 2 years of use, with a heavy bumper in front & a heavy tire carrier bumper in the rear.

Last edited:
Back