• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake booster problem

sethmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting my 2000 cherokee running again after sitting for about a year. When I first started it there was a pop and could tell pressure was released from somewhere. After inspection I found that the cap from the vacuum check valve on my brake booster was gone. Now it has vacuum but I think when first starting it it built pressure and blew the cap off. I had just replaced the brake lines and had no fluid in the system and had my foot on the brake while cranking so I think that could have caused the problem. My question is what exactly could cause that and also I cannot find the cap or check valve for sale anywhere. I dont want to replace the whole brake booster if I dont have to. Any help would be appreciated.

You are talking about the valve at the vacumm booster, where the hose from the intake manifold connects? You should be able to buy that valve at most parts stores.

Ok, I was looking for an application specific part. Now I see generic ones, thanks. Any ideas on what caused it to pressurize? Not sure if it will do it again if there is another underlying problem.

Back