• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tps question

bobyep

NAXJA Forum User
Vehicle info. 1996, 4.0l, 5spd, 2 door, obd2

ok so i have a rough idle and it is kind of random and my mpg has gone way down. So i stating checking things to replace. all new plugs wires distributor and cap so far since they where on it when i got it years ago decided it could only help. well it helped some but didn't make the problem go away. so now i tested the tps and got the following.

if you look at the sensor and plug from the top starting closest to the engine

unplugged just probing connector:
.01v
4.65v
5.10v

idle back probing
.01v
.81v
5.11v

ignition on back probing
? forgot to write this one down
.84 to 3.94 at WOT
5.11v

Now lets see if i understand which one is which. closest to engine is ground in the middle is signal to ecu farthest from engine is power supply. now my question is should i be getting the 4.65v when the connector is unplugged from the signal wire? seems strange to me but the voodoo magic that is computer controlled cars confuses me all the time.

ok so everything i read to test this thing say input is 5v is the fact that i have 5.11v to far off?

my WOT only went up to 3.94v instead of the 4.49v i keep reading. Is 4.49v a set number they all have to be at when at WOT or is there a acceptable range?

unplugged just probing connector:
.01v
4.65v
5.10v

Pretty normal numbers. Maybe your meter is off by .10 volts

my WOT only went up to 3.94v instead of the 4.49v i keep reading.

I would buy a new NAPA or genuine Jeep TPS.

Back