• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 Turbo Diesel

Jonblackmore

NAXJA Forum User
Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 Turbo Diesel
Guys
Scott Smith recomended your forum. Im in Ireland and Ive started repairing a Jeep Cherokee sport 2.5 Turbo Diesel.

I have a crank problem which destroyed the last engine that was in the jeep.

When you crank the engine some times it dont start ,when it does it sounds real rough but then after 8 seconds it gets normal , I mean it sounds like its firing ok.

Any one with a diesel who could help fix the problem.

Jon

wait so you replaced the engine and you are having the same prob? or did you replace the crank and have the same engine and same prob?

Replaced a clapped out engine

replaced a clapped out engine but the problem is creeping into this new replacement engine.Its 8 seconds of very rough idle then smooth ,happens when im in traffic as well.

sounds like......

the problem is more electronic than mechanical. Unfortunately the Deisel is not common around here but there are some others on the board that might be able to help you. Incidently it would help to know the year and tranny in some cases.

If I recall from reading posts over the years about that diesel engine you may be in luck.

It may require some work on your part but I think that engine was also used in some RVs, may of been for the electrical generator. I don't full remember.

You may want to go to a RV board and read posts. I wish I remembered what brand of RV used that engine.

IF you find that out the go visit the RV dealer with experience servicing that engine and see if they can get your engine working right.

Diesels

Jon, I've never worked on the Jeep 2.5l diesel but have experience with diesels. I assume that it has glowplugs? Just off the top of my head I would suspect the injectors or fuel pressure problems but need to know a little more about the problem. Does it act the same when the engine is warmed up completely? What is the rpm when this happens and what is the normal rpm? Is there any reason to suspect water in the fuel? What are your compression readings? Is this a completely new engine? New engine control? Any engine codes? Change all your fuel filters, run some high quality fuel injector cleaner through, and check your fuel line pressure. I'll see if I can find some specifications on your engine and we'll take it from there. If the rough idle is exactly the same length of time every incident then check to see if there is some engine control on that time delay.

Johnblackmore:

Dont really know your vehicle enough to say - I just bought a 2.1L Turbo Diesel XJ and have not been close to it to say for sure.

Have you drained your fuel tank or know about your fuel lines?
Diesels can get algae and foul a filter-
Have you purged your fuel lines for air- can muss up pressure in injector pump- and effect idle but not so much with more throttle
Have you changed your fuel filters- dunno if you have a pre and post or what -
Have you done a compression test on new engine-
Check the sites Ukkeeper posted about types of fuel- I speak of ultra low sulfur diesel - the sulfur is a lubricant for the pumps and older injector pumps will suffer untimely death. Dunno for sure as we here in states are just now getting this ultra low sulfur

good luck-

Peace

Back