• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

More lift = driveline woes

Elevate

NAXJA Forum User
99, AX-15, 8.25, no TC drop, no SYE

Here's the question: How hard is it to remove TC studs?

I have a CA XJ and none of my bolts so far have been frozen up. (Im thinking of welding the nut to the stud to remove it) I just don't want to break a stud and wish I would have sprung for a SYE sooner.

I recently went from 4" to 6" in the rear. This caused too much driveline vibe (before I just vibed lightly from 55-60) so I need to do a SYE.

In the mean time, I'm going to try and get away with a TC drop until I buy a SYE and new driveshaft. I had the TC drop stuff just laying around anyway.

Thoughts?

-Mike

That's what my dad suggested, I didn't think doing a jam nut would be strong enough... I am happily wrong!

I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

-Mike

In my case, it was impossible. They're still in there, I'm still running only 1 bolt, 1 nut, and one cross threaded bolt, and still need to fix it. I've tried about 3 separate times, and every time ends in failure and foul language.

haha, mine took alot of heat, very rare in the rust belt to just double nut them out. If it doesn't work, you can cut that section of frame rail out, & weld in new nuts. Or make a new hole and use a coarse threaded self driller.

mine are effed up too, i just got fed up with those studs and put a small weld on the crossmember near it just incase. I have RK long arms so the brackets need longer bolts, whenever I get around to it I'm thinking of just griding two sides on those studs and try to grab it with vice grips... double nutting it didn't work for mine

File or grind opposing sides of the stud(s) flat, then use a vise grip. Worked for me, and I live in a rust prone area. Watch out for a lip on each stud that won't fit through the hole in the crossmember. Drop the crossmember far enough to get above it before turning the studs out. If you try to turn them out through the crossmember, you will likely strip them.

Couldn't get the locknut thing to work... Going to try and grind on it a bit to get some flat sides and then try to pull it with a set of locking pliers.

If that doesn't work, I'll just weld the nut on.

I should have just ordered a SYE...
;-(

weld a nut on and soak it in wd40. if you strip the head of the nut, weld a cheap socket or wrench on lol
but yea, SYE for the win.

Back