• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Blue Smoke

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed today that my girlfriends XJ had blueish white smoke coming out of her exhaust as she was going down the road....I know that blue smoke usually means she is burningn oil, which I have known for a little while, but didn't think it was bad enough to have the blue smoke.....also, her engine has always had a good amount of power, but had made noise like a diesel.....

My question is....Is it time for a rebuild? also if it does require a re build can a top end re build be done and be sufficient?

Also forgot to mention, her engine has 180,xxx miles on it.

Is there anything I can add like maybe some lucas or something that MIGHT work? just to see?

Last edited:
you need to do a leak down test to determine what and where you have the problems. it can be as simple as a leaky valve guide. top end rebuild and you could be good to go. that is if your compression is up to spec.

you need to do a leak down test to determine what and where you have the problems. it can be as simple as a leaky valve guide. top end rebuild and you could be good to go. that is if your compression is up to spec.

ok, what if my compression shows some low numbers in a couple cylinders? Full on rebuild?

what is an average cost of a top end rebuild? having someone else do it?

Get some test data and go from there. Compression test is something you can do yourself. A leakdown test is more comprehensive at determining root cause.

a compression test will tell if you are leaking compression from a cylinder. a leak down test can determine what is causing the leak. bad rings, burnt valve, ect.

Blue smoke under accellerations means shot rings. Smoke on decelleration or after extended idle means shot valve guides. Like was said, a compression test will tell tons.

Back