• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cylinder 6 misfire, need help!!

Woodtket

NAXJA Forum User
So I was driving down the interstate going home from work doing about 80mph when I started to accelerate my "check engine light" started flashing so I let off, then immediately gave it some gas, and no power loss at all. So I got off the highway and it started skipping and running like crap. The check engine light has since been on I scanned it and it came up cylinder 6 misfire. Today i've replaced the cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs and re-scanned it and still a rough idle and the same code i've run some Seafoam through and still nothing. Please help!

I have a 99 xj, two door, AT, 4.0 with 174k

Checked and cleaned the IAC Valve and still a rough idle. I unplugged each injector one at a time with the engine running only one that didn't change the idle was my number 6 injector so my guess would be that I need a new injector. Also I removed the spark plug on the number 6 cylinder and started it no fuel spurting out like it should have been. Do injectors go bad often in the 4.0 ?

Run a can of BG44K through it first. The other thing you should try is to plug and unplug the injector connector a few time. If not change, swap the wires on #5 and #6 injector or better yet actually swap the injectors.

I tried swapping the wires and nothing changed still #6 misfiring.I'im going to try replacing the injector tonight see if that works. i'll post with results ASAP. Is there any substitute for stock injectors, Such as different or more efficient spray patterns?

I agree it's time for a new injector. If that doesn't fix it, with new plugs, wires and distributor cap you have pretty much eliminated anything except an internal engine problem at which point you should start with a compression test.

It was the injector I popped the number 6 injector out and the top that comes out of the fuel rail was all gummed up not letting any fuel into the injector so I replaced with a new one. It got rid of the skip but I'm guessing it has to adjust to the one new injector it has a rough idle but much smoother all the power is back thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

It was the injector I popped the number 6 injector out and the top that comes out of the fuel rail was all gummed up not letting any fuel into the injector so I replaced with a new one. It got rid of the skip but I'm guessing it has to adjust to the one new injector it has a rough idle but much smoother all the power is back thanks for the help guys I appreciate it.

May want to consider a replacement of all injectors. If one is troublesome, others may not be far behind.

Back