• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CLACK not clunk not clink

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
OK,

This is on my 88 MJ (as I don't have the XJ anymore...I gave it to my son). 4.0, BA-10, 4x4, np231, 31's etc. etc.

Totally intermittent sound from console area. Happens at pretty much any time. Not a clunk, or a clink, but as the title says it's a CLACK. Not rotational, not dependent on speed orgear selection.

At first I thought it was the heater "crotch" hose in the cab flopping around behind the dash as it was disconnected. I re-connected it. CLACK still there. Sounds like it's just under the plastic inside the console (or just behind the ashtray area).

It sounds like someone tapping on the console with a screwdriver. No particular rhythm. Sometimes it happens right away, sometime only after driving for awhile, sometimes it'll happen only once or twice in a hundred mile run. Really started out of nowhere.

Doesn't sound dangerous, just annoying as hell. When I put a finger anywhere on or around the shifter or the front of the console or the TC shifter, I can feel the tap...any ideas???

Motor and tranny mounts.

Yeah,
My commuter car has been out of commision the last two weeks with a bum ECU, so I've had to drive the MJ back and forth to work. Come Sunday I have to spend some time on my back under my baby...the Jeep I mean. The little car was fixed today so I can smog it and DD it til I get this resolved.

I've been concerned about the mounts, all three, since the shifter started moving side to side over rough roads. I'll be swapping the BA/10 out for the AW4 as soon as I find a torque converter...meanwhile the Jeep will sit. *sad face*

The stock mounts are original equipment I think, so it's time after 24 years and 180K...that's the bitch of it all. 180,000 stinkin' miles and the mounts just go, just like that.

I've got a torque converter from a recently rebuilt AW4 (88) if you'd like to pay for shipping-- they ain't light....

seemed to work fine on the four mile trip home from where I bought it, but I can't really speak for it's integrity since I dismantled the Jeep soon-there-after.

Back