• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

extremely high idle

Jays siik xj

NAXJA Forum User
I got an 87 xj 4x4 i6 with an extremely high idle. It started on the way home today. I came to a stop sign and the engine was screaming. I get hone let it sit for a few hours turned it on and it continued.
So far ive checked the throttle body to see if it was gummed up... it wasn't
checked all vacuum lines, throttle cables and linkages, and wire connectors.
After fudging with it for a while i did about 30 minutes of searching and nothing.

Any help?
btw this is my DD so i need to figure it out in time for work tomorrow.

It pretty much has to be a vacuum leak. Small hoses won't take the idle up that much. Things to check are loose bolts holding the throttle body to the intake, the intake to head gasket, a blown vacuum booster on the brakes. Start by taking a pair of pliers and pinch off the hose to the brake booster while some starts it. If the idle is still high, get a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the intake gasket and then by the throttle body gasket.

It is rare, but the gas pedal cable could be binding.

I unhooked the cable from the throttle body so that there was no tension on it it stayed the same. Im gonna do the brake clean thing as soon as someone gets here to give me a ride to the auto part store.

Back