• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me figure out what I have! (pictures)

Elmateo487

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I am new around here and could use some help. I'm diving into my first rig that I will be building and working on myself.

I bought this XJ from a credit union, selling off a guys payments, so of course they knew nothing about the Jeep itself. I took a gamble, because the price was right.

So far the motor runs flawless, I love it and it runs strong.

I need to know what all has been done to it that maybe I have missed.

Here she is (it sits level, parking lot is slanted)
IMG_0207.jpg

Front shocks (think Bilstein 5150s, 10 in travel)
IMG_0182.jpg

Rear shock (Bilstein 5125? 9 Inch travel. There also is only one shock..... )
IMG_0185.jpg

empty shock space (why would there only be one?)
IMG_0189.jpg

All terrains, 32x11.50 R15 LT
IMG_0210.jpg

Any idea who makes these flares?
IMG_0194.jpg

1 inch? Transfer case drop?
IMG_0191.jpg

Longer shackle?
IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

1 inch puck?
IMG_0203.jpg

When I got it, it had the sway bar connected. But I noticed the bar pins that they slide into, are bent. I think maybe when turning hard drivers, or passengers, they collide and have bent the pins? Or maybe the JKS disconnects were set too long? I don't know any ideas?
IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

I don't know anything up here... I don't know what is stock what is not. Insight?
IMG_0196.jpg

next post...

Last edited:
closer look
IMG_0195.jpg

What is this poofed out rubber washer looking thing? It is very squishy, feels like it could pop with a pin needle. Very weird... Blown bushing?
IMG_0197.jpg

C8.25
IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0212.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0213.jpg

IMG_0219.jpg

Is that how normal leaf springs sit? or are there blocks back there?
IMG_0228.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

Ok... so. Basically I'd like to know what else I missed? My buddy looked quickly and noticed that I didn't have a rear sway bar. So I am wondering what all I don't know about because I am unfamiliar with an XJ.

In the near future I want to go up to 6.5 inch springs and 5.5 leafs with a 1 inch shackle and ride on 33s with a 3 link long arm. I don't like my tires smashed up under the fenders, I like having a good amount of room.

I would be very grateful if you guys could point out things I missed. Maybe relocation brackets, or who knows what. And while doing so answer some of my questions I put above some of the pictures.

so probably 3.5 inch coils? and a 1 inch puck? The front end rides really nice with these shocks and coils. The rear end rides very terrible. Probably because only one shock.

How tall do you think that track bar is good for?

Ok so i'm gonna do my best to answer your questions. Rear shock missing= maybe they distroyed it? Get another.. There should be two.
Fender flares look to be Rusty's Old style. Yes that is a Tcase drop. Gonna need and SYE if you plan to got higher. Sway bar link is bent. Straighten it go from there. Looks to have a RE tracbar and stock steering. The "squishy thing" are called tie rod ends. with rubber boots on them to keep dust and mud out. The things under you leaf springs are call degree shims. Helps with pinion angle.. You sir have a LOT of reading to do!!! Everything you need to know can be found here through the search function or google...

Oh and no need for a rear sway bar... thats one of the first things to hit the trash when you lift an XJ

Start here! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=968708

Last edited:
Wow, well there's a lot to take in there.... I'll do my best here to summarize my opinions.
First off, you have some decent stuff there....the shocks are great, and you have the makings of a decent lift (or so it appears.)
-The Flares MAY be old Wrangler flares, or some kind of one-offs- really not 100% sure what those are. But at least you have something.
-you definitely have some sort of a transfer case drop, and it appears as if you dont have a SYE (Slip Yoke Eliminator)... not ideal, but obviously getting you by.
-The leafs are definitely aftermarket, as are the shackles. Obviously part of the lift "kit." By the color and look of everything it MAY be an old Rubicon Express kit - but dont quote me on that.
-Your lower control arms are not stock but the uppers are. and that lower mount (appears to be passenger side) is bent pretty bad or at least the pic makes it look like it is.... If so, you may want to address that.
-The Sway bar disconnect ends on the axle are definitely bent, but a little heat from a torch, and a hammer or big piece of pipe could bend those back to "good enough." Some new lock pins (cotter pins of sorts) and you could hook those back up.
-It does look like you have some sort of a spacer on the front springs. this isn't a bad thing.
-The Tie Rod ends boots look to be a bit worn, and those can be replaced, I cant say as to the condition of the joints themselves, but a closer inspection and a test drive would tell us more for sure.
-the tie rod look like it may be stock, the drag link looks stock too, the track bar is definitely after market - prob part of the kit.
-Looks like it might have a Full Traction or Superlift steering stabilizer. -(better than stock.)
-Under those leaf springs those look more like shims (angled blocks) more than they do lift blocks (no angle) - these are in place to angle the pinion of the rear axle more directly towards the transfer case. -this is to help eliminate driveline vibrations.
>
All in all it could be a decent platform to build off of. I would look deeply into the mechanics of the vehicle itself before you go much further. do a full fluid swap on EVERYTHING, from radiator to differentials and everything in between. Do some routine maintenance, Clean the IAC, do a tune up, clean out the throttle body, things like that. Make sure its going to be running and driving real good, before you hit the trails. You have room for 33's it looks like, the 32" AT's aren't bad, and will do JUST fine while you take care of everything else. I'd give that thing a good bath, and spray down the underside real good to get a better look at the jeep thru all that mud. Then just start doing things one at a time. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to NAXJA!

How much did you get it for and how many miles if you done mind me asking. This think def looks like it was a mud toy. And you have prob have a 4 inch lift from what it looks like. Any higher and you would need new upper control arms.

You have Rusty's flares, RE3.5 inch lift(add a leaf)with re shackles, a transfer case drop. First thing I would do is get yourself and sye and rear driveshaft.

shortened... You sir have a LOT of reading to do!!!

Thanks for the link! and yeah... I know. I have been reading for a straight month now.. and feel like I know nothing. Haha. Working on it.

shortened... All in all it could be a decent platform to build off of. I would look deeply into the mechanics of the vehicle itself before you go much further. do a full fluid swap on EVERYTHING, from radiator to differentials and everything in between. Do some routine maintenance, Clean the IAC, do a tune up, clean out the throttle body, things like that. Make sure its going to be running and driving real good, before you hit the trails.... shortened

Great info. Ill need to start looking up guides on how to maintain everything. I got a parts and maintenance manual that ill have to dive into. On my previous cars I only did the basics, oil changes, tires, etc. So I know ill be neck deep in this, and probably make a ton of mistakes.

Was the cat included with the sale? :D

That cat... is a stray. That sits and meows at me non stop while I work on the jeep. It's probably a little jealous.

I have a used rear 5125 you can have if you want to pay for shipping.

PMed

How much did you get it for and how many miles if you done mind me asking. This think def looks like it was a mud toy. And you have prob have a 4 inch lift from what it looks like. Any higher and you would need new upper control arms.

$2800, 160k.

I think I would probably get the locks re-keyed. The previous owner will see you driving it around...

Ill keep a key myself... and when I see him driving it after he stole it back from me... he better know it is on. :) (it was an out of state sale. So he would have to travel quite far, and he doesn't know where I live)

You have Rusty's flares, RE3.5 inch lift(add a leaf)with re shackles, a transfer case drop. First thing I would do is get yourself and sye and rear driveshaft.

So with the 242, I have to do a hack n tap right?

Back