• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transfer case noise after chromo shaft istall

Vanimal

NAXJA Forum User
so i have a np231 and my jeep previously had a disconnect front axle. i just switched to chromo shafts in the front (solid passenger side shaft so no more disconnect) and i notice some noise now. is this due to the fact that the chain is now spinning in the transfer case? sounds a bit like a howl with a slight change in tone about every wheel rotation. i have a lockright locker in the front if it matters.
i put the heep on 4 jack stands and ran it but i cannot hear this noise when it's in 2wd or 4wd in first gear. however, if i gas it a little i hear a loud clunk coming from what i think is the tcase. i assume it is chain slap. i kept it in 4wd and grabbed the front driveshaft and tried turning it while holding the rear driveshaft and i can get almost 1/4" of rotational movement at the circumfrence of the yoke at the transfercase. how much (if any) is normal? is this likely the cause of my new noise as the front driveshaft is now spinning the chain when in 2wd when before it didnt?
is it ok to drive it like this for a while or should i park it? i got a big offroad event this weekend and i dont really have time to pull it apart before then.

The extra movement is almost certainly from the lockright. I suspect that some of the noise is from the ring being contacted in a way by the pinion that it hasn't normally before. I get a similar noise when I go into 4HI in the snow for the first time or two in the winter because I'm contacting the ring on the drive side when it normally runs on the coast side.

You just need to adjust the jeep harmonic cancelation knob. Its just above the HVAC controls. Try a quarter (or quater for you) clockwise at a time until the noise goes away

The extra movement is almost certainly from the lockright. I suspect that some of the noise is from the ring being contacted in a way by the pinion that it hasn't normally before. I get a similar noise when I go into 4HI in the snow for the first time or two in the winter because I'm contacting the ring on the drive side when it normally runs on the coast side.
the extra movement is in the transfer case. i'm not even looking at the axle end. i had my buddy gas it while it was on jack stands in 4wd and i get a healthy clank from the area in the case where the chain is every time the throttle was blipped.

that's a good call about riding on the coast side of the gears, i forgot about that.

i might pull my front driveshaft to see how it behaves.

You just need to adjust the jeep harmonic cancelation knob. Its just above the HVAC controls. Try a quarter (or quater for you) clockwise at a time until the noise goes away
i fart in your general direction.:passgas:

Back