• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does the stock spare tire mount?

Crashsector

NAXJA Forum User
Stupid question...

My XJ has what I think are all of the pieces for the spare tire mount, but I can't figure out how to get it to mount in the cargo area. Does anyone have any pictures or can you walk me through how to secure it down?

Thanks!

--Andy

Bracket screwed to left hand side. Big washer. Plastic/metal wing nut
Stand the tire up on the bottom bracket, stick the threaded rod thru the hole in the middle OR one of the lug holes, put on the big washer, spin on the wing nut, tighten the wing nut...

Last edited:
The spare usually mounts right side out. Depending on tire size you may need to thread the threaded rod through a lug hole, but the normal way is through the center hole, with a big semicircular plastic spacer/washer that fits the center hole. If that plastic piece is missing you may have to fake it. On my last XJ the threaded rod had a bend to offset it. If someone has put it in wrong, you may have to turn it around to get it to line up right.

Fortunately the back glass is pretty tough. When I rolled my rig ithe rear hatch shattered, but the rear glass was fine, several feet away laying on some sharp rocks.

Back