• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
hi all

i have a little over 4 inches of lift in my '94 xj and a 8.25 rear end i get slight vibes at about 70 mph+ i have a 1 inch transfer case drop and am thinking i need to go with an SYE

so im wondering what you recommend an where to buy and expected cost.

do i do the whole output shaft swap or just a hack and tap.

i dont do extreme off road, mainly beach and ROUGH country tracks.

i have a NP242

what do you recomend

My heep has had the RE H&T for well over 10 years. In that time I've done the Con, Fordyce, Dusy, and many other trails. Plus countless number of stucks in mud, snow and even sand (We pretty much have it all in NorCal). Plus upwards of 200K of street miles, some of which was towing a 4K trailer across the counrty. And you know what? After the intial install all I've done is rebuild the driveshaft 4 times (but that's PM).

You can take that info and do what you want with it. Is the replacement shaft stronger? YES. The question is; do you NEED that kind of strength?

Ewen, you have a 242, and hack and tap is your only choice. Tom Woods sells a cut and tapped stock 242 ouptut shaft, but if you correctly cut, tap, and install it, a hack and tap SYE will be fine.

Iron Rock Off Road sells a 3103-27CV yoke for a hack and tap (and the seal flange 1995 and older T-cases need) that eliminates the Spicer 211229x yoke that the RE flange kit requires.

standard.jpg

the 242 doesnt have a true aftermarket shaft available.

as said, tom woods has stock ones that have been hacked and tapped. i believe he will want yours as a core.

with your year, you will also need to add a sealed Tcase output (i believe, but i am 242 illiterate)

having done a hack and tap... i wont do it again. nothing went wrong, just a bit of a pain. i consider it a temp fix to be honest. but i have the 231.

Ewen, you have a 242, and hack and tap is your only choice. Tom Woods sells a cut and tapped stock 242 ouptut shaft, but if you correctly cut, tap, and install it, a hack and tap SYE will be fine.

Iron Rock Off Road sells a 3103-27CV yoke for a hack and tap (and the seal flange 1995 and older T-cases need) that eliminates the Spicer 211229x yoke that the RE flange kit requires.

standard.jpg

I have a used set of that RE flange/yoke adapter that could be for sale.

dirtbound offroad sells a H/T that uses the yoke described. best one i found for the 242.

Last edited:
My heep has had the RE H&T for well over 10 years. In that time I've done the Con, Fordyce, Dusy, and many other trails. Plus countless number of stucks in mud, snow and even sand (We pretty much have it all in NorCal). Plus upwards of 200K of street miles, some of which was towing a 4K trailer across the counrty. And you know what? After the intial install all I've done is rebuild the driveshaft 4 times (but that's PM).

You can take that info and do what you want with it. Is the replacement shaft stronger? YES. The question is; do you NEED that kind of strength?

I bent my stock output shaft.....

i dont think i have front drive shaft vibes, as the problem only appeared when i changed gearing to 4.1's and at the same time the rear diff to a 8.25

My front drive shaft vibes started after I went from 3.55s to 4.56s starting around 65. Now I also have a SYE kit, but just saying its not a bad idea to pull it and check... Seems like most people have vibes that start around 35 that come from the rear, at least mine did.

ive sent dirtbound an email to confirm that the seal adapter comes in the kit, there web site indicates it does, but then goes on to talk about it as an optional extra, i have got on to a good used front prop shaft,

however i will drop my front prop shaft out and see if i still have vibes, although i fairly sure that the vibes come from the rear,

either way i dont see the SYE as being a bad decision

as long as you tell him it is for the 242, the adapter will come with it. mine came with everything you see in the pics on his site.

no problem. the only thing i wish i would have done was to ask him to send an extra seal to keep as a spare when on the trail. not sure if he sells them separate but it is worth a shot.

I bent my stock output shaft.....

How in the heck do you bend an output shaft, lol? Wouldn't the u-joints blow first? Or any number of things?

Well all I can say is maybe you're a little harder on your heep than I am on mine. Maybe you hammer the skinny pedal?

picked up my front prop shaft today and ive ordered the hack and tap plus a spare seal and gasket (Thanks for the advice)

gee its hard to believe that the front shaft is long enough to work in the back, however everything i have read says it will

guess im about to find out.

Back