• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel/Tire Change issues.

.dotfortune

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, I've got a 2wd 96 Cherokee and found a deal on a wheel and tire combo from a friend. The wheels are Konig Verdict 18x8. The tires are 265/60/18's with an aggressive street pattern. I was previously running on 17" Dodge Charger wheels with stock-size tires.

The new setup is roughly 30.5" tall and almost 10.5" wide. I noticed after the swap the tires have no intention of listening to my input, but rather following any and all grooves/bumps in the road.

It doesn't seem random, just specifically following the road contours. In a straight line on a smooth road it tracks straight though.

I've also noticed that the inners of both front tires have had slight rub/wear on them. They have been balanced, and all tires are properly inflated.

Keep in mind my front end is completely original/stock.

Any ideas? Balljoints? Alignment? Tires too wide for dd road-only use?

Thanks

Well were they worn like that before you installed them or only now that you have run them?

And the wider you go the more prone you are to following the contours of the road. (generally speaking)

Originally the front tires were BFGoodrich's. I noticed the wear and changed the fronts to Yokohoma Geolanders with no wear and it continues. Balanced both times.

I must elaborate on the wear Im seeing. After taking a drive and coming to a stop on pavement so the tire stays clean, it looks more like what I would consider "rub". Almost as if the fronts are cambered ever so slightly.

When looking at the tread the inner section seems darker and sometimes after a lengthy drive almost has a shine to it.

Sounds like ball joints are in your future.

Back