• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to tell if it chromoly

gird123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I picked up front and rear axles for a good price with 4.11 gears. The guy said they have chromoly shafts in both. Is there any way to tell for sure if they are chromoly. The front ones have spicer stamped on the axle shaft.

to the best of my knowledge Dana Spicer has never made a chromo axle.

Post some pics of the rears..

I will post some pics. The guy said he would get me the paper work. I should have waited to pay him. Maybe he will com through.

Sounds like you got taken for a ride. Another clue is to look at the yokes for the front shafts where the u joint clips go. Aftermarket/chromo shafts are machined to accept full circle clips, I've never seen one that wasn't. What kind of axles are they? Sounds like you just got some stock axles out of a 4cyl XJ

Yeah. I was going to go pull some at pick and pull from a 4 cyl, but the local pick and pull places want $365 per axle. I got a free axle with a spartan locker, but it has 3.07 gears, and my current set up is 3.55 gears and i was going to try and regear myself. I think this will be a lot easier and cheaper? swap the spartan over and then put the axles in. I paid 300 for both axles a dana 30 and chryster 8.25 ready to bolt under the jeep with 4.11s.

I felt it was a good deal even if they are not chromoly. I wish I had the paper work saying it was chromoly then it would be a great deal.

Sounds like you got taken for a ride. Another clue is to look at the yokes for the front shafts where the u joint clips go. Aftermarket/chromo shafts are machined to accept full circle clips, I've never seen one that wasn't. What kind of axles are they? Sounds like you just got some stock axles out of a 4cyl XJ

this! Aftermarket shafts, in my findings, Have always been made to accept full circle clips!!!

If 4.10s are what you wanted and the bearings/seals are in good shape, you took him for a ride.

If 4.10s are what you wanted and the bearings/seals are in good shape, you took him for a ride.

You got a good starting point at a good price. Now work it slowly into what you really want.

x2.

even if they arent chromos, youve got another set of shafts and unit bearings sitting under your XJ. im not sure on the specifics of knuckle, unit bearing compatability... i know from looking at the WJ knuckle swap that some unit bearings have a different deck height... but for the most part everything should be plug and play.

FWIW,
OEM Shaft:
16523.09.jpg

AlloyUSA Chromo Shaft:
10124.jpg

also most of the time chromos are usually stamped with with a number near the ujoint flange. IIRC its something like 4325

Back