• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

slow wiper fix

jmeti000

NAXJA Forum User
So, my jeep has been plagued with slow wipers, especially on high and after researching I finally found a fix for all who also have this issue. What I found is that you can switch out the motor from a dodge dakota or jeep grand cherokee...the motors in these vehicles happen to be noticably larger despite the exact same casing. I pulled mine out of a 96 grand cherokee, and it works flawlessly.

Step one...pull the motor from the donor vehicle...when you do this, you will notice the connector is different. Cut the wires on the vehicle side of the connector leaving enough room for splicing.

Once you get both motors out of the vehicle, you need to remove the faceplates that all the wires connect to on both motors and simply swap the large gear and shaft. Its pretty easy to get out, I used the handle of a screwdriver to drive the shaft and gear out.

Next, you need to splice in the wiper motor end of the connector to your new motor...the colors dont match up, but its pretty much plug and play. The wire locations are the same on both motors so you can just follow the wires and figure out which ones need to be spliced together.

Last, plug it in and make sure it works.

The motors can also be found in other years and vehicles, I know they were in multiple years of dakotas, durangos, dodge rams trucks, grand cherokees, etc...pretty much all chrystler suv's and pickups.

Hope it help out a few

Cheers :cheers:

Been thinking about doing something to solve this on my jeep too. I am going to take out the stock motor and clean it inside and out, see if that helps first

Been thinking about doing something to solve this on my jeep too. I am going to take out the stock motor and clean it inside and out, see if that helps first

Pull the wiper assembly out as a whole.

While you're at it, add an extra ground in th ecowl area.

Depending on the year, some wipers grounded on the left inner fender under a sheet metal screw......

I just swap in late model XJ wiper motor/transmission assemblies. Its just a matter of splicing in the old style connector. Not a hard job at all

Do the late model xj wipers run faster?

They do on my 90 XJ and 89 MJ

Give us a write-up.

I did one years ago. I haven't been on here much in the last 3 years (still digging out from a divorce so the Jeeps have been non priority)

I will see if I can dig out the old write up. If I remember, it was easy.

I did the rear wiper on my 90 last week and I used an '01 motor with the delay module. I couldn't get the delay module to work so I just spliced in the old style connector to the new style motor and deleated the delay module.

Back