• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Shift Points @ What MPH

At what MPH does the AW4 normally shift into each gear.

There is no clear answer. Load on the engine, trottle position, terrain (up hill, down hill, flat road) cold engine/transmission and actual road speed all affect the shift points.

The speeds indicated by LawDawg007 is indicative of light trottle, and normal speed.

At normal throttle, both of my Renix jeeps shift at about 12-13 mph, 25, and 35-40 mph. Mine are ALL stock, 87 and 89.

With stock-size tires my 96 2wd is as follows:
1st gear - 0mph <<lol
2nd gear - 14mph
3rd gear - 25mph
TC Lockup - 40mph
4th gear - 34mph
TC Lock - 44-45mph

This is light load, little to no grade on the road, warm tranny, trans cable within a reasonable amount of good agjustment. When cold you can expect almost 20-22mph for the shift into 2nd sometimes.

And yes, might look odd but the torque converter will lockup if the gear lever is pulled down into 3rd. I use it all the time for steep hills in 40-50mph zones, and the occasional transition from service road to interstate.

I sometimes get TC lock up as low as 25-30 in 2rd gear depending on acceleration.

Mine is more like this.

With stock-size tires my 96 2wd is as follows:
1st gear - 0mph <<lol
2nd gear - 14mph
3rd gear - 25mph
TC Lockup - 34mph
4th gear - 40mph
TC Lock - 44-45mph

This is light load, little to no grade on the road, warm tranny, trans cable within a reasonable amount of good agjustment. When cold you can expect almost 20-22mph for the shift into 2nd sometimes.

And yes, might look odd but the torque converter will lockup if the gear lever is pulled down into 3rd. I use it all the time for steep hills in 40-50mph zones, and the occasional transition from service road to interstate.

Mine shifts very early, more like 20, 30, 40. But I think i need to adjust my throttle cable as it is a DOG to get it to kick down.

Good info in this thread.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015963&highlight=adjusting+throttle+cable

This, very simple, adjustment made a huge difference in my 98. It went from barely downshifting to operating in a fashion I would expect.

What I had was the transmission would unlock the TC and downshift into 3rd all at once. Now, first the TC will unlock, then it will downshift.

Which, according to my Factory AW4 troubleshooting manual, is how it is to operate. The downshift should come in stages.

I sometimes get TC lock up as low as 25-30 in 2rd gear depending on acceleration.

Yea mine also. It feels like 3 close ratio gears before 3rd. My tc dosn't seem to do anything for 3rd and 4th so I believe it never unlocks after 2nd gear. But downshifting into 3rd will unlock then lock (usually right away in comfort mode)

Update, correction on mine, 87 and 89. The TC locks at about 34 mph in 3rd gear, and unlocks at about 24 mph on the low end.

Back