• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to stretch rear with what leafs?

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So I want to look at stretching my rear axle about 2" back. Im going to build custom shackle relocators. But I want to know what leafs I should go look for at the boneyard to piece together to help stretch it? I have a set of RE 4.5" leafs now, but I cant use those for a stretch. So what leafs should I look for to make a set of leafs to stretch?

I will run a 1" shackle, so I need to make the leafs about 4.5" because with the relocators Ill gain another inch there.

What about relocating the front spring hangers and keeping your leaves?

Wagoneer lead springs worked perfect for me. About 2.5" stretch and they are 5.5" longer overall, so they flex better too. My Dana 60 still clears the gas tank. Only draw back is the shackles do stick out pretty far.

Front or rear ones? Will they fit in the factory axle mounts? And I done mind the shackles

You have any idea how much lift they gave you?

Rears. Yes they the factory perches and front mount. The springs alone probably give about 3" of lift, coupled with relocating my shackles rearward and down I think and a 1.5" lift shackle set at 45 degrees I think it's abou 5" overall.

You could always drill out the center pin hole one the main leaf to push the wheelbase back to whatever you desire. Also, MJ and dodge van main leafs are supposed to move the pin back a few inches, although they also add a few inches to overall length but if you're build shackle reloaction boxes it shouldn't be an issue to make it work.

pretty sure it's closer to 3" of stretch if you flip stock leafs around.
it should work for a while, but will result in wheel hop and/or fubared springs in a hurry. you can build a traction bar to fix that.

believe Nissan Titan springs will give some added stretch.
also, scroll down, see bottom left of this page "Related Threads" have a look at those, and the threads related to them... wealth of info already hiding out there.

Are you after lift or stretch?
for the most part u can get lift with any leaf pack u make... add/subtract leafs to get desired height, longer leafs will ride softer then short ones.

If stretching, flipping most leafs will put the longer part of the pack in front (from bushing to centering bolt) which results in higher chance of axle wrap, and wearing out the leafs faster. A traction bar will combat that.

Course find a pack that is longer, bushing to bushing AND has the centering bolt further back than stock should be easy enough and should work out as you want it too... lift and stretch.

Back