• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First mod: Husky Helper Spring install on my 1989 XJ! (pics)

Crashsector

NAXJA Forum User
Evening,

This is our victim, my 1989 XJ. 197,600 miles - purchased for $500. It had a pretty good case of butt-sag when I got it. Overloading it with about 600 pounds of firewood didn't do any good.

20120417_164809.jpg

Initial measurements gave me 29.5 inches from the ground to the bottom of the rear fender flares.

20120417_164817.jpg

20120417_165956.jpg

20120417_165948.jpg

Yea, this thing's been bottomed out a few times.

The proper fix: replace the leafs. After considering dealing with rusted U bolts, shackles, shackle bolts, etc., and weighing my total investment in the Jeep, I opted for a quick-and-easy solution. I purchased the Husky Springs LP4 Helper Spring set from Rock Auto for $85. Best solution? No. Cheapest? Probably. Easiest? Definitely.

20120417_163817.jpg

The first thing that struck me is the thickness of the springs. These things are massive!

The directions say to place them up against the spring perch on the rear half of the springs. This is how it sits:

20120417_170351.jpg

Two things began to worry me.

First: the spring looks like, under compression, it would be resting on the strap holding the leafs together:

20120417_170345.jpg

The second is that is looks like the lifted end of the spring may contact the skid plate and frame rail:

20120417_170935.jpg

I decided to see how everything shakes out and started bolting things up. Here we are with the first set of nuts tightened down:

20120417_172058.jpg

The instructions suggest two different amounts of preload: 1/2" from the sprung end to the end of the bolt for loads under 800 lb, 1.5" for loads over 800 lb. Since I can't tell what I'll be dealing with, I went for the latter. This is the clearance to the strap with the axle under weight:

20120417_172053.jpg

20120417_172627.jpg

Oh well. One strap is already broken, if I have to take them off it will be 5 minutes with a screw driver and a hammer.

I lowered everything back on the ground and this is the result:

20120417_172554.jpg

Same measurement as before yields 31.5". I'm stoked. Time to test drive.

What a difference. This thing morphed from a Cadillac into a Jeep. Huge increase in ride quality, responsiveness, and huge decrease in body roll. The back is probably a bit too stiff, but seeing as this will be a mobile tool box and boat hauler it's probably for the best.

My worries about clearance crept back up when I got back home from the test drive. It looks like both sprung ends are catching on the skid plate and are actually resting on them under the weight of the Jeep.

20120417_182239.jpg

20120417_182301.jpg

The instructions say the rotation in the second photo is normal, but that interference is not. I think if this install was on springs that weren't sagging as badly it probably wouldn't be a problem. Taller shackles in the rear would probably help too.

I could grind away a small area of the skid plate for clearance, but then I feel they would bottom out on the frame rail, something I'm not enthused about.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I'm going to take those straps off tomorrow and see if that makes any difference. I don't want to take any material off the springs as that end is pretty narrow as it is.

Thanks for all the help and I appreciate any suggestions!

--Andy
Annapolis, MD

Use a full length add-a leaf or build a bastard pack using some Chevy S-10 leaf springs. Either method will raise the read end a bit and add some anti-squat under cargo or towing loads.

You not getting totally tore up for posting this in mod tech is pretty good evidence that this is a nice place to hang out. :D

I should move this to OEM tech, since this can hardly be called a modification. But I won't.

You not getting totally tore up for posting this in mod tech is pretty good evidence that this is a nice place to hang out.

I should move this to OEM tech, since this can hardly be called a modification. But I won't.

Yea, I debated where to put it because I thought the opposite. This is the first of many, however nothing too extreme. This is a utility rig. My hope is to pick up a second XJ soon, in nicer shape, to have fun with.

Use a full length add-a leaf or build a bastard pack using some Chevy S-10 leaf springs. Either method will raise the read end a bit and add some anti-squat under cargo or towing loads.

I realize this is a better solution. My goal was quick, fast, and easy. This isn't the best idea in the world, and I know that. However it solved my problem for very little investment in time and money. Anyway, it made my Jeep a whole lot more fun to drive, which means it will get driven more, which is really the point after all, right?

your stock main leaves are going to invert pretty quick with that setup man

They already were starting to invert (in the front section) before I started. Again, this isn't the best solution, but it meets my needs. Leaf replacements would cost as much as I have in the truck. I'd rather put the money into my next XJ.

--Andy

Leaf replacements would cost as much as I have in the truck. I'd rather put the money into my next XJ.

--Andy

you are not xxxxxx...
I have a total of 89 dollars in my 3 inch lift.. bastard pack and used front springs

Your xxxxx overload husky leaf things WILL and i repeat WILL make your main leaf spring on both sides look like an S after less than a year. I would bet my jeep/girlfriend/life/and savings account on it

WHY not put money into this XJ and make it what you want it to be.. if you got it for cheap that just means you have extra money to make it perfect
you paid more for your jeep than i paid for mine and why not take care of what you have rather than dream of what you could have

a "nicer" xj shouldnt be made into a trail rig... why put dents in and cut up a "nice" car

:moon:

Last edited by a moderator:
Firestone makes an airbag helper for the XJ. Would work for loads and wont hurt the springs.

I think they can be had for around 200.

Back