• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock tow hitch to aftermarket bumper hitch?

CarbonXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking at a rear tire carrier bumper, and several have built in 2" receiver tubes, and no option to remove them. My '00 came with a factory hitch, which is WELL used as the PO towed a camper and I tow a boat.
My question is if getting an aftermarket bumper with the integrated hitch will affect my towing at all. I would assume not, as with the tie-in brackets the weight is still distributed along the unibody. The stock hitch is horrible to tow with, bc it's so loose from the northern corrosion; I'd like to ditch it for the tire carrier hitch if possible.
Am I correct in assuming that there would be little change in capacity? Boat weighs approx. 2000lbs, give or take.

A properly built rear bumper should work as well as a Factory tow hitch.
You may need to adjust the height of the ball as bumper hitch receivers are usually higher than the under-bumper Factory hitch receivers.

It all depends upon how it mounts. Find a way to secure the bumper mounts themselves to the frame rails where the hitch bolts on. Someone recently had a nice write-up on some they made with nut strips welded inside box tube, which were then fed through enlarged frame rail access holes. The bumper mounts alone are not sufficient for decent tongue loads (remember the XJ is a unibody).

So long as the bumper is like most and includes nut strips and mounts to tie it into the chassis the same as your regular hitch, it'll behave like a regular hitch.

Back